• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boys Or Girls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doragon

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just wanted to ask you guys what gender guineas you guys prefer?

I mean I've always had females, I got my first guinea pig at aged 8 as a girl, my Mum had control over the genders and she doesn't want to get boys. I'd actually like to give boys a go at one point down the line! I plan to keep owning guineas when I move out. 10 years later and I still always get girls!

Just wondered what you guys preferred, or do you swap genders and why?

I guess there's advantages and disadvantages to both; I've always heard it's easier to keep several females together than it is males, as the girls don't seem to fight as much. I've always had boars, and have to say I enjoy my boys very much! No particular reason I prefer the boys; the first pig I owned, I found him in a fish tank by the side of the road (!), and from there on, I just got boys. Wish I had the room, time, and money for both males AND females!

i've always had neutered male/female pairs. ches and maisie, then maisie and eddie, eddie and mollie, and now mollie and benjie :) i like both :luv:

I've always had sows until we adopted the gorgeous Mr Ted who is a neutered boar. Friends who have boars have always told me how much fun they are. My experience of the lovely Ted is certainly very positive. He's a real character, always rearranging the cage, stomping for attention, but very affectionate. He's a real sweetie. But I'm much more familiar with sow behaviour which holds no mysteries for me having had so many over the years. But personalities are individual to the individual pigs. I've had some very grumpy sows and some very affectionate ones over the years. Certainly sows do seem to be a bit more pragmatic in coping with a herd situation, but can be just as difficult as boars if they take a dislike to each other. Any piggy is a welcome family member here, so I've an open mind about future piggies.

My only guinea pig experience is with sows, though I've had male hedgehogs, male rats, male mice, etc. in the past. It just worked out like that (our first pair happened to be girls, since we really only have room for two pigs at the moment we have always introduced a girl to our remaining girl after a loss.) I would be open to getting boars in the future at some point, but I'm pretty comfortable with sow behavior at this point so it's what I know.

I may get a dog in the future and if so I would prefer a boy, if only because they neutering procedure is less costly and less invasive!

I've got boys. I can't see much difference to be honest. I've never washed any boar bits, and only had one guinea pig that had a really active grease gland.

I prefer boys, mainly as they don't give you suprise babies such as our new arrival peeka! Lol

I always find my boys to be very cuddly compared to my girls who just seem to be in it for the food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back