boys will be boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all hope you're well and hugs to all those who arent! as you may know i have been trying to bond 3 boars well its now day 14 they have 2 new hutches that have been joined together side by side to give 13sq feet. they are now trying to settle into their new home together i have 3 of everything bottles bowls pigloos.... so they can avoid each other. my question is dominance related what is normal boy behaviour as my 2 problem boars rocky and gizmo are in the middle of sorting out the pack order. as it stands they meet face to face square up and teeth chatter this lasts for around 3 seconds before they seemingly get bored and go find the food bowl is this the beginings of a truce? i have seen them curled up asleep with each other at various points and just would like to know what to expectmalletheadmallethead

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's kinda aggressive behaviour, but it's good that they get bored of it and then stop. It's a great sign that they cuddle up together.

I bonded three boys and 2 of them kept squaring up to each other and chattering for a while, but they never actually had a fight and settled down after a while and lived peacefully.

I hope yours become good friends :)

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
when you say a while are we talking days weeks or months ? i just would like to know :)

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It took few weeks for it all to settle down completely, but it was getting calmer all the time :) And I think mine were worse than yours at first, cos they were being aggressive for longer and more often, but after maybe a week or two, they were doing it less and then just doing normal dominance things like rumbling :)

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Months..

I paired up a previously aggressive rex with my abby who lost his brother just over 2 wheeks ago and atm its going fine. Was some teeth chattering on the rex's behalf at the beginning and that has settled now. Not quite snuggling or anything but tbh my rex is very grumpy.

Even though its going well atm its only been a few wheeks and they could have a huge fall out in a few months time - who knows.

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i hoping they dont i know rocky is an annoying little git towards him but he is at that age

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
quick update the 'chattering' is getting less and less and quieter and quieter I'm hoping all will be well i have nocied gizmo has a cut on his back but it seems to be an oldish wound and the other 2 pigs arent sporting any so he may have a mite issue (ironic as we give them regular flea baths)

Status
Not open for further replies.