• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bramble Bar Biting at Herbert...

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bramble is now around 11 months old and lives next door (Separate cages) to Herbert because they wouldn't bond. He's been living next door to Herbert since the beginning of April relatively quietly, but just over the past couple of weeks, he has started to frequently bite the bars at Herbert and make a lot of sort of complaining type noises at him!

Is this just normal as Bramble is maturing? When they first started living side by side, it was Herbert (He's roughly the same age) who used to bite the bars at Bramble, but now he mostly ignores Bramble and it is Bramble doing all the bar biting and complaining noises at Herbert! Bramble sometimes rumbles at Herbert too, but not that often. It's sometimes like Bramble has become obsessed by Herbert! 🙄 :))

I think it's safe to say we won't be trying to bond them as cage mates ever again, which is sad, but we are hoping that in the not TOO distant future, we might be able to get them neutered and get a sow or two, for each of them!

I have no idea, I just know that Master Boris has joined "Club Bar Chew"View attachment 246904
Very cute. Wonder why Master Boris has started doing that too, then?

It's not just the bar biting with Bramble, it's also the high pitched complaining type of sound he makes at Herbert, usually just before he starts biting the bars! 🙄

Our 2 boys live at neighbours & Wally loves to bite the dividing bars & outside bars. No obvious reason.( He has calmed considerably since his first couple of weeks with us.)
Wally also enjoys joining in vocally when the foster pigs who live accross the room are having a disagreement( or is cheering them on 🤣)!

It’s usually just a way of getting attention.

Hugo attempts to bite the bars mostly when I enter the shed. He doesn’t get on all too well though as I have baby bars on my c&c cages so they can’t get their teeth though. Not because of the bar biting itself but because he and Wilbur are vicious to each other and try to bite each other through the bars with normal c&c bars!

Yep! 4 out of 6 boars here bite the bars, the four singles who live as neighbours! I've noticed Timmy and Freddie try a few times but they live on a higher level and can't see what the other's are doing, so far thank goodness they haven't quite got it!
Thanks Red for teaching them how to make as much noise as possible. :hb:

It's not just the bar biting with Bramble, it's also the high pitched complaining type of sound he makes at Herbert, usually just before he starts biting the bars

So much of my day is spent calling "stop winding him up!" (or variations of that sentence) into the bedroom. You could be forgiven for thinking they were being murdered (walked into the hay) or tortured (annoying each other because they can) or starved (you got fed half an hour ago, guys, you can't be dying of hunger yet I promise).

On the bright side, they're not bar biters. Small mercies and all that.

Back