Bringing guinea pigs in at night

MrsBedden

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new here!

I rescued two beautiful girls a week ago. I am so in love with them they are just gorgeous. They are currently housed in a insulated playhouse with attached run in our secure garden they only go in the run when it is dry there is a little door that can be closed up. It isn't heated yet I had intended to when the weather turned colder. My question is.... I hadn't realised how much I'd worry about them outside at night and when the weather is bad like yesterday, constant rain! If I bought them in the house with us in a C & C cage can they go outside when the weather is nice in the summer months for the day to play and eat the grass then bring them in for the evening and all night? And in for the whole winter. Would this be too much for them with temperature changes from the house to outside or is this something people do? is there anything I've not thought about with regards to this?!

IMG-20190611-WA0018.jpg
20190608_105138(0).jpg

Many thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, you’re thinking of making them indoor pigs who get run-time when the weather is suitable? This is exactly what mine are. They used to be in a free-roam shed but they now live inside and get time in the run in nice weather.
It’s absolutely fine as long as the weather is good when you put them out and build up the time spent on grass. IE don’t put them out for all-day on the first nice day of the year!

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
What a fab little home & cute piggies. Mine live indoors and dont go outside so I can't offer any advice but someone will I am sure x

alessandrahorse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This set up you have looks great Mrs Bedden. Your new arrivals will be so thankful for their spanking new house and outdoor runaround where they can exercise and graze when it's dry. When it rains, the grass will grow which you would want to happen otherwise, the ground will just go brown and worn. My outdoor run gets moved around the lawn as they devour the grass like nobody's business. It's great to watch them . When you get time, put a little tunnel and somewhere to hide within the outdoor run just so they have somewhere to shelter and of course a water bottle. I'm sure you already have one that I can't see. Happy days!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
The piggies are gorgeous and I love your setup.
Those are 2 very lucky piggies.

Mine are indoor piggies so I’m afraid I can’t answer your question.
There are members who have outdoor piggies who will be able to help

MrsBedden

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This set up you have looks great Mrs Bedden. Your new arrivals will be so thankful for their spanking new house and outdoor runaround where they can exercise and graze when it's dry. When it rains, the grass will grow which you would want to happen otherwise, the ground will just go brown and worn. My outdoor run gets moved around the lawn as they devour the grass like nobody's business. It's great to watch them . When you get time, put a little tunnel and somewhere to hide within the outdoor run just so they have somewhere to shelter and of course a water bottle. I'm sure you already have one that I can't see. Happy days!
Thank you, There is a wooden hidey house in there and a tunnel that is just an older pjust finished 😊
As far as I can tell, you’re thinking of making them indoor pigs who get run-time when the weather is suitable? This is exactly what mine are. They used to be in a free-roam shed but they now live inside and get time in the run in nice weather.
It’s absolutely fine as long as the weather is good when you put them out and build up the time spent on grass. IE don’t put them out for all-day on the first nice day of the year!
Thank you I'm not mad then! 🙈 I'll get on and build them an indoor home now!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Mine live in cages indoors and go out in the summer when the weather allows. We only put them in the outside runs when one of us can be in the garden as there are foxes here. It's important that the temperature inside the house is more or less the same as outside when you do put them out, and that the run is not in direct hot sunshine. I use garden parasols and fleece blankets as shades over the runs, in the runs I use small step stools and wooden houses, closed in plastic hides heat up like an oven in hot weather. I love the relationship I have with mine being in the house, they are at the centre of everything we do. They get to know all the little noises that might mean food!
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time