• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Brita water filter

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I've been using Brita Marella XL jug to filter piggies water. I've noticed the filter definitely doesn't last a month, even if used just for the piggies. I've kept the notes on how much water it filtered before the display shows it needs new filter. And was horrified it was only 6 liters! I've contacted Brita and they said it should last around 100 liters, depending on how hard the water is, but agreed something must be wrong with the display. My area has hard water, but to go from 100 to 6 is ridiculous. Especially since the filters aren't exactly cheap...
How much does your last?

I live in a hard water area and I use my Brita filter jug for my piggies, my dog and for tea/ coffee - it’s gets lots and lots of use. The filter lasts about 5-6 weeks. I use the Amazon equivalent. ( as it’s cheaper ) I know it works as I never get scale in my kettle.

I use Wilkos jug and filters and change the filter monthly. I only use it for the piggies . I live in a hard water area and only once have I had to change it after 3 weeks

I gave up looking at my filter indicator as it never seemed to make sense. I found it easier to just get in a routine of changing it at the start of each month. I live in a hard water area.

Thanks everyone. They're sending me new display, but will probably stick to 3-4 wks change, as you've said. Just very conscious about calcium after the trauma of losing young piggie to complications post bladder stone removal (he was stunted and badly bred, so not diet caused).
I did change it when indicated, but now I am thinking it's ridiculous :D I mean, if it doesn't last 4 pigs a month then something is seriously wrong!
I'll look at the alternative filters, too!

Back