• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Broken leg?

Reaction score
My Guinea pig is limping and lying down a lot. He is also vibrating whenever I take him out and making a strange whimpering noise. Is it just a hurt leg or something else? Pls reply

Please take your piggy to the emergency vet if you suspect a broken leg, only an xray can diagnose this and in any case he sounds to need some urgent pain relief even if this is just a bad sprain...

The only way of knowing is a hands on examination by a vet. I’d suggest you make him an urgent appointment if you think he is in pain.

Please take your piggy to the emergency vet if you suspect a broken leg, only an xray can diagnose this and in any case he sounds to need some urgent pain relief even if this is just a bad sprain...
Thank you for replying,
He doesn't seem to be in bad pain but he normally runs around and at the moment he is just putting his head down and lying down. But we're glad that he is eating.

It’s good he is eating, but if he can’t walk properly then he needs to see a vet. As prey animals, guinea pigs can hide their pain so it’s not possible to tell how much pain they are feeling

As prey animals, piggies hide their pain, so any sign of pain you can see is probably an underestimation. I adopted a piggy who had broken her leg 3 months previously and her owner hadnt even noticed... so please go straight to the vet for a proper diagnosis and some prescription pain relief.

It’s good he is eating, but if he can’t walk properly then he needs to see a vet. As prey animals, guinea pigs can hide their pain so it’s not possible to tell how much pain they are feeling
Ok thank you for letting us know we are going to take him to the vets tomorrow.

Please keep your question to your other thread. This section is monitored by the health contributors and it makes it much easier if your posts about the same subject are all in on one thread.

Limping, holding the leg up and possibly showing signs of pain although being prey animals, they hide their pain very well.

I have replied to your other thread but if you suspect a broken leg, please have your piggy seen by a vet as a matter of urgency

Limping, holding the leg up and possibly showing signs of pain although being prey animals, they hide their pain very well.

I have replied to your other thread but if you suspect a broken leg, please have your piggy seen by a vet as a matter of urgency
Yes thank you, are their different symptoms for a sprained leg. We are taking him to the vets tomorrow.

My Guinea pig is limping and lying down a lot. He is also vibrating whenever I take him out and making a strange whimpering noise. Is it just a hurt leg or something else? Pls reply
Please take your piggie to a vet, I’m so sorry about this. Good vibes to you and your piggie! 🌈❤️

Back