• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Broken leg?

gme44

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my guinea pig recently jumpy out of my arms and landed on the grass about 5ft from the ground, she sprinted off at first looking like there was no pain or limping, straight after that, she is putting no weight on it at all and is holding it up. is it broken? sprained? she’s is eating fine, and not showing much pain when she is lying down, does this sound like it’s broken or sprained? how much is the cost?! i’m petrified about the cost to fix a broken foot? how kings the process? how long will it take to heal?

Please have your piggy seen by a vet. A fall/jump from such a height always needs a vet check.
Only the vet is going to be able to tell you the extent of the damage and therefore the subsequent recovery time. She will need pain relief at a minimum - they have the ability to hide their pain but if she is not putting weight on it, then it is likely hurting her

I hope she is ok. Let us know how you get on

Please have your piggy seen by a vet. A fall/jump from such a height always needs a vet check.
Only the vet is going to be able to tell you the extent of the damage and therefore the subsequent recovery time. She will need pain relief at a minimum - they have the ability to hide their pain but if she is not putting weight on it, then it is likely hurting her

I hope she is ok. Let us know how you get on

thank you! we are on our way now !

Good luck! Do give us an update when you can <3

update: she didn’t make it through the anaesthesia, she was only 6 months old, little toffee 💔

Attachments

• B339AE83-D8F8-4F78-BC0B-764339C7786F.jpeg
    B339AE83-D8F8-4F78-BC0B-764339C7786F.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 6CFFDA60-1CFF-40A1-B978-7904EC63AA6B.jpeg
    6CFFDA60-1CFF-40A1-B978-7904EC63AA6B.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
Poor little Toffee 😪 You are really not alone in having this experience - vets see this sort of accident regularly but that will be little consolation, and I'm so sorry for your loss. It is possible that there were injuries to her internal organs which were not obvious. She is free of pain now so try to remember the good times 💕

If she has a friend who is left alone try to spend some time with her because she won't understand what has happened at first, although she will come to accept it. Give your family and other piggy time to grieve, but also please remember that they are not wired to live alone. Be kind to yourselves x

Poor little Toffee 😪 You are really not alone in having this experience - vets see this sort of accident regularly but that will be little consolation, and I'm so sorry for your loss. It is possible that there were injuries to her internal organs which were not obvious. She is free of pain now so try to remember the good times 💕

If she has a friend who is left alone try to spend some time with her because she won't understand what has happened at first, although she will come to accept it. Give your family and other piggy time to grieve, but also please remember that they are not wired to live alone. Be kind to yourselves x

thank you so so much, we are getting a new buddy for the other one on the weekend, thank you so so much xx

I am so sorry you have lost little Toffee, such a beautiful girl x
Sleep tight one one 🌈

Back