• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Broken Tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed the other day that Louisa had slightly chipped one of her bottom incisors. Today about half of it is broken off. She can eat fine and all her other teeth look ok but I am not sure if she needs to see a vet. Should I wait and see if the one above the broken one gets too long and then get it trimmed? Is it possible that it was just one injury that chipped the tooth and cracked it so part fell off later or might there be something in the hutch she keeps chewing and hurting herself? She has been under stress recently as she lost her herd leader Francesca last week, I also suspect it is Louisa who is barbering Scarlett even more than usual.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, I really should have thought of guinea lynx. My head is not quite in the right place today. I think I will just keep an eye on it.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, they have all been a bit quiet this week, I think they are missing Francesca. They are all on the lawn at the moment enjoying themselves so I think she will be ok. I will just cut up the food smaller so she doesn't have to bite off big chunks.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would think it would be ok especially as she is eating but I am tagging @MintyAndGarry who is very knowledgeable on dental just in case.

MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (West Hunsbury), Northampton, UK
Just keep am eye on it. It should grow back and come back in to wear. She is eating, which is good; it's also good to adapt their veggies as you have been doing. I've been doing the same for a piggy who had a lower incisor burred down, due to an abscess beneath it.

Keep an eye on the incisors, to male sure they stay in alignment and are relatively straight. Should they be slanted or should the incisor keep breaking off, it may be an idea to get her seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.