• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Broken Tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

LennyPig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of Lenny's lower front teeth (incisors) appears to be broken :( It appears to have quite an obvious chip out of the tip of the tooth.

I know their teeth grow continously and grind down naturally through gnawing etc... so I assume that means a broken tooth is not as big a deal as for a human where a broken tooth would mean the enamel could be removed exposing the un protected tooth and nerve below.

anyway, enough waffling, do I need to worry about my little guy? He is not bother by it at all and in acting and eating completely normally.

thanks

There's no real need to worry as long as he keeps eating normally. He should still be able to pick up and eat food with no hassle, and the tooth will grow back in fully within a few days. :)

I totally agree with CCC4. My piggies have had many a broken tooth in the last 10 years. :)) The only thing to keep an eye on is the length of the teeth - they should be the same size on the top & bottom. Although there will be a differece between the 2 whilst they are growing, they do usually sort themselves out as they gnaw. If one gets too long, it may be worth popping to the vets to see if it needs trimming.

Secondly, how far down did it break? If it was to gum level, then you need to keep an eye on where the tooth goes into the gum. I have found that once a tooth has broken that much, it is possible for the gum to 'overhang' the tooth (I can't think of any other way to put it!) :x Food, hair, hay & other bits can then get stuck in the gum, which needs to be removed. Easy to do & the piggy usually protests about having your finger in it's mouth rather than it being painful! Mind you, I wouldn't want someone elses finger in my mouth either! :x

It is not broken near the gum at all, just a chip out of the very end / tip of his tooth.

Thats fine then, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back