brothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have just got 2 five week old babies they are brothers but I have been warned they may have to be split when they hit maturity or they may fight.Does anyone know how likely this is and does anyone have 2 boys happily together?

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Boars seem to do the best in pairs. There is a possibility they might start fighting, but it's like that for any set of boars.

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
I have two boars, I don't think they are brothers, but when my sister got the from a pet shop they were young un's. They have never fought!

So long as they have a large enough cage/hutch/run and plenty of hidey holes to have 'me' time they should be OK together :)

Reaction score
Yep, I think space is the main issue with two boars. As long as there's plenty room for them to get away from each other. :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Many breeders and certainly shops have not the time or interest to carefully bond boars; that is the reason why there are more fall outs than necessary and boars have got a worse press than they should.

Give your boars plenty of space; as much as you can afford; we recommend a minimum of 2x5 ft, if possible with a split level. Everything in twos (or even threes and nicely spaced apart from the other same item) when they hit the hormonal months between 4-12 months old, so they can get away from each other and fights cannot spark by getting possessive over something.

Whether two boys of the same age make it depends on their character compatibility. Family bonds are not a major factor. There is always a chance of a fall out and a bloody fight, but it is not by any means inevitable! Many boar bonds actually make it through the stroppy months intact.

Boars will usually not bond with each other again after a serious fight with bites, but they can either be bonded to other boars (we recommend boar dating at a rescue to find a friend they really click with) or you can think about having them neutered and living each with a girl after the appropriate wait. Cross gender bonds are generally very stable, but you have to face the risk of an op/post op complications.

Reaction score
Sorry piggie_mummy, I'm totally going to hijack your thread here a wee bit.

Wiebke, if two boars fell out and had to be separated could you keep their cages next to each other still or would they just wind each other up?

gogoguineas

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hey there,

I have ALWAYS had boars and never had any issues. I just happened to pick two i liked the look of, many years ago and was surprised when I started hearing stories of boars fighting afterwards as I hadn't had any issues.

I've had brothers, non siblings from the same breeder and also introduced a another boar into the home after one had passed away.
Space is definately key. You'll probably find they only snuggle up together if its cold, mine generally like their own boxes or hidey places so they have their own place to go. There's normally one that will be just that bit more dominant than the other which normal, its just them establishing who's boss lol. I would only seperate them if there was blood loss or severe attacking.

I had a pair once, Charles was always the more placid one and would let Dibbs be the alpha male but occaisonally, you'd see Charles sidle over to Dibbs and really sneakily nip the edge of his ear then turn around as if to say 'who me?' looking all innocent lol! Payback for being bossed all day long!

The most mine ever do is nip an ear or do the teeth chattering thing and then it's over, normally a food based argument! As guinea pigs are very social as long as there is plenty of space i think they prefer the company. The odd scrap is normal, especially when they're young but as I said, as long as its not severe attacking and not continually its nothing to worry about.

Sorry for the waffle, its just a myth I'm keen to dispel! Enjoy your boys x

gogoguineas

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wiebke, I've never heard of boar dating but it seems a very good idea, I'm in the midlands, i don't supose you know of anywhere i could investigate this? I'm keen to get another friend for mine now he is alone x

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I had two brothers and unfortunately they had to be separated, mainly cause one humped the other constantly and he just got sooo sick of it rolleyes
I was lucky that we put a divider in their house, then extended their house outwards for both of them. Tho they always had playtime together upstairs and i'd also take out the divider and supervised.
Now i've learnt so much more i'd have tried to bond them again, slowly but surely, who knows what the result might have been :)
Don't stress yourself about it at this stage, it may or may not happen :)

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

My boys are brothers - almost twins actually! And they are the best of friends. They're almost 6 months old now and so far I have had no bother. They love eachother, play together & groom eachother. I'm hoping they will stay this way - don't let it put you off, a pair of any animals may choose not to get along you just don't know.

My boys are so far great brothers & totally inseperable. I would go for it x)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have always had boars and, apart from a scuffle from one pair- which was just a one off, they have always been fine I currently have 4 pairs of boars.

as others have said having a fair amount of space is very important.

Good Luck with your new pigs!

:))

Reaction score

I have 2 8 week old boars which are brothers.
They have the odd squabble.. mostly about their tube, Alvin is always in it and Theo hardly ever gets a look in.

I was told they should be fine together... but with anything, you can't predict what is going to happen in the future :)

Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
We have four boars, two pairs of brothers and have had no issues to date. The oldest are intact and 9 months old - have the odd face off but are very close rolleyes
We recently adopted two sows and were told the smell will drive the boys to fight and were really worried :... but again, no concerns and they only live about two feet away from the girlies.
A lot of things you hear/read etc. is just to make you aware that things may not always go without a hitch and to be prepared in advance i.e accomodating boars who may need separating.
My set up consists of 12ft per piggy pair on three levels (we have six :(|)) and have a 6ft 'spare' room with the plan to adopt more but have decided to keep the room because even after all this time, there is no guaranteeing they will never fight.

Reaction score
I think girls sometimes play an issue too, if them get whiff of a girl or go near one they seem to fall out.
I brought all my piggies in on bonfire night as I was worried for their safety and the girls were in one corner of the room and the boys in the other corner of the room.
The next morning they'd drew blood on each other, I did keep them together for another 3/4 weeks but it happened a few more times so in the end I seperated them as I was concerned it could go further and they'd really hurt each other & need vet treatment.
It was sad but they now live above one another and through the day they are side by side in runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.