• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Brownie... blood in urine...

Would you recommend giving any extra cucumber at all.. bit more water content to help flush her wee? or does it not work like with piggies...

this morning she seems a bit brighter - well she was shouting at me for breakfast when she heard me in the kitchen..... but it really is a battle of wills to get the medication down her!

this morning she seems a bit brighter - well she was shouting at me for breakfast when she heard me in the kitchen..... but it really is a battle of wills to get the medication down her!
Hope Brownie is feeling better soon x

When my ladies had urine infections in the past the first sign was always wet back ends that looked like dirty bums because they were leaking urine and everything kind of stuck to that. The blood-tainted urine usually appeared a little later. Afflicted males were harder to spot because they get wet underneath rather than at the back! Big George has just finished 10 days on Baytril (0.6ml twice a day) and his urine now looks clear but at 7 days he still had a distinct blood-taint (I put a pile of grass on a white bath-towel to see it). He's not had a UTI before but had started to get a bit of impaction and I think that was what triggered it. I was surprised when it was 0.6ml this time as I've always been given 0.2ml Baytril in the past (again, twice a day) but the vet told me there is increased resistance to Baytril around nowadays and they'd rather hit the infection hard than have to resort to other antibiotics. It's just as well - he freezes solid when he has his meds and the first time I syringed in 0.6 I'm pretty sure about half just dripped back out of his rigidly open mouth! I had to learn to chin-rub until he raised his head and relaxed a bit - then gravity did the rest. I'm now watching to see if anything returns over the next week before I can relax... and obviously keep checking his back end is clear!

The Baytril tastes bitter but the Metacam is sweet and they usually love it. Old Daisy used to wait patiently for Ivy to have her meds so she could get a lick of the empty Metacam syringe afterwards! Ivy had passed a bladder stone (out of the blue!) and got a UTI on the back of that but Baytril couldn't shift it so we went onto another antibiotic called Septrin (2 x 0.3ml per day) - for about 3 weeks - and that worked a treat. BUT a fortnight later it was back and so another 3 weeks was prescribed - I was upset but the vet said this was actually not uncommon and luckily Septrin appeared to taste better than Baytril. They also said, "Get her to drink more water" which I thought impossible as we already had 3 bottles and a bowl for 3 guinea-pigs but it turned out location was the key. Ivy was a secret drinker... we put the two big bottles 6 inches further along so the spouts were directed just into the entrances of the covered areas of the cage and she was drinking all night long - her teeth on the spout woke us up so we knew it was her. She was active at night and I think she was nervous about coming out into the cage in the dark. She drank in the day but nothing like as much at she did at night. I guess they're all different. Her pee was great after that - it used to be really milky (gritty) but she really flushed through well. Daisy needed the bowl - she was old and stiff, and seemed to have difficulty reaching up to a bottle so the bowl of water was right next to the pellets and she went from one to the other. Bottle/bowl positioning is my only useful suggestion! That and don't despair if the UTI proves a bit tougher to shift than you expect... from what my vets say it's not uncommon and for the duration of the antibiotics you know it shouldn't be getting any worse.

Good Luck Brownie - we hope you feel better soon!

When my ladies had urine infections in the past the first sign was always wet back ends that looked like dirty bums because they were leaking urine and everything kind of stuck to that. The blood-tainted urine usually appeared a little later. Afflicted males were harder to spot because they get wet underneath rather than at the back! Big George has just finished 10 days on Baytril (0.6ml twice a day) and his urine now looks clear but at 7 days he still had a distinct blood-taint (I put a pile of grass on a white bath-towel to see it). He's not had a UTI before but had started to get a bit of impaction and I think that was what triggered it. I was surprised when it was 0.6ml this time as I've always been given 0.2ml Baytril in the past (again, twice a day) but the vet told me there is increased resistance to Baytril around nowadays and they'd rather hit the infection hard than have to resort to other antibiotics. It's just as well - he freezes solid when he has his meds and the first time I syringed in 0.6 I'm pretty sure about half just dripped back out of his rigidly open mouth! I had to learn to chin-rub until he raised his head and relaxed a bit - then gravity did the rest. I'm now watching to see if anything returns over the next week before I can relax... and obviously keep checking his back end is clear!

The Baytril tastes bitter but the Metacam is sweet and they usually love it. Old Daisy used to wait patiently for Ivy to have her meds so she could get a lick of the empty Metacam syringe afterwards! Ivy had passed a bladder stone (out of the blue!) and got a UTI on the back of that but Baytril couldn't shift it so we went onto another antibiotic called Septrin (2 x 0.3ml per day) - for about 3 weeks - and that worked a treat. BUT a fortnight later it was back and so another 3 weeks was prescribed - I was upset but the vet said this was actually not uncommon and luckily Septrin appeared to taste better than Baytril. They also said, "Get her to drink more water" which I thought impossible as we already had 3 bottles and a bowl for 3 guinea-pigs but it turned out location was the key. Ivy was a secret drinker... we put the two big bottles 6 inches further along so the spouts were directed just into the entrances of the covered areas of the cage and she was drinking all night long - her teeth on the spout woke us up so we knew it was her. She was active at night and I think she was nervous about coming out into the cage in the dark. She drank in the day but nothing like as much at she did at night. I guess they're all different. Her pee was great after that - it used to be really milky (gritty) but she really flushed through well. Daisy needed the bowl - she was old and stiff, and seemed to have difficulty reaching up to a bottle so the bowl of water was right next to the pellets and she went from one to the other. Bottle/bowl positioning is my only useful suggestion! That and don't despair if the UTI proves a bit tougher to shift than you expect... from what my vets say it's not uncommon and for the duration of the antibiotics you know it shouldn't be getting any worse.

Good Luck Brownie - we hope you feel better soon!
Yes, thats what I noticed first,.. her bum felt a bit crusty so the wee had obviously dried... then the other half said he had heard her making a whimpering noise for a few days at night time - when he would be sat watching the tv and I would be in bed - so i said ' Make sure you tell me in the future :no:

I popped her in a washing up bowl this morning with some white kitchen towel ( clean bowl ) and she did a few poos and eventually a wee. no pink tinge at all but she did whimper a bit - but not sure if she was just fed up of being in the bowl so I am planning to the same again later tonight...

It's hard to see any blood in the cage as its mostly hay.... I am glad that Ivy eventually shifted if... I will make a note of the other antibiotic, Septrin.. Mine are ok with drinking as in they are not bothered by coming out to drink... My Daisy has spells of nothing all day then seems to glug for an hour! Thank you telling me your experience..always good to hear what others go through.. x

When Ivy peed she didn't always whimper but you could tell because she became very, very tense and still while she was doing it. It was hurting to pee and so she was trying to let it out bit by bit rather than let it all go (if you've ever had cystitis you'll know what I mean). Part of the reason they gave painkiller was to encourage her to just pee it all away.
Because she'd passed a stone they also x-rayed her to make sure there wasn't another one - this vet thought that there was one in the urethra and I wasn't sure; but I'm not a vet! She didn't have any trouble peeing once the infection had cleared and I never saw another stone or puddle of bloodied pee, and I was watching like a hawk for signs. I think what we might have seen is an accumulation of gritty pee in the urethra that looked like a narrow, thin stone but was actually not a solid mass, so she just peed it all away.
They might suggest an x-ray at some point if they suspect a stone. Poor old George looks like he might have tainted pee again only 2 days after the Baytril has finished but I'll have to get the bath towel out again to check as he peed on a picture of David Attenborough in the newspaper so it might just be that Sir David has run a bit!

Well I have had her on some kitchen roll to check her pee.... twice it showed no pink tinge or blood but she hunched and was clearly in pain 😪.... otherwise, poop is good, eating ok ... back to the vets on friday for a check up..

We're also back in on Friday and they've asked if I can try and take in a urine sample. It's going to be tricky. George is so fat his belly rests on the ground and sops up a lot of the pee. I'm going to have to eyeball him and as soon as I see a puddle appearing chase him off! Luckily he's not showing any signs of pain although I'm keeping up his Metacam just in case. I do feel for you and Brownie - it's distressing to see them in pain. I hope it goes OK. Is she still on her Metacam? If you have any left they might be able to advise on upping the dose over the phone. Lots of luck.

this could be a urinary tract disease or kidney stones.If she strains when urinating or if there is anymore blood please go to the vet. another sign of kidney stones is drinking a lot of water

We're also back in on Friday and they've asked if I can try and take in a urine sample. It's going to be tricky. George is so fat his belly rests on the ground and sops up a lot of the pee. I'm going to have to eyeball him and as soon as I see a puddle appearing chase him off! Luckily he's not showing any signs of pain although I'm keeping up his Metacam just in case. I do feel for you and Brownie - it's distressing to see them in pain. I hope it goes OK. Is she still on her Metacam? If you have any left they might be able to advise on upping the dose over the phone. Lots of luck.
Yes getting a urine sample wasnt the easiest.. I used the washing up bowl, and had a syringe handy - one of the old calpol ones - and lifted her out as soon as she did a wee... yeah she is still on the metacam, 1.5ml a day which doesnt seem a lot... then what I took in wasnt actually enough to test! Will update on friday.. good luck to George too x

this could be a urinary tract disease or kidney stones.If she strains when urinating or if there is anymore blood please go to the vet. another sign of kidney stones is drinking a lot of water
We have been to the vet on sunday.. and are going back Friday for a check up.. she is not an excessive drinker... I work from.home so keep an eye on who is drinking...

We have been to the vet on sunday.. and are going back Friday for a check up.. she is not an excessive drinker... I work from.home so keep an eye on who is drinking...
Okay if she stops urinating ever it might be because she is in so much pain. keep a look out on how much she pees! you should give her some lettuce cilantro parsley or carrot tops sprayed with a little water to sooth the pain

Okay if she stops urinating ever it might be because she is in so much pain. keep a look out on how much she pees! you should give her some lettuce cilantro parsley or carrot tops sprayed with a little water to sooth the pain
Thank you... its hard to tell when she is in the cage ... but I always wash their veg before they have it so its wet.. given her extra cucumber too...

⬆️ I recorded Brownie earlier... no noise when doing a poop.... but this is when she is doing a wee...😪 her pee has a pink tinge still as I have collected a tiny sample..

Back