• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bruno honking

Rivervixen

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Looks like we’re off to the vet tomorrow, noticed Bruno honking a bit this morning :( if only it wasn’t a Sunday I’d take him today before

It appears to be the season for it, two of mine started doing it out of the blue this time last week and neither have ever had so much as a runny nose for the 4 years I've had them! Might not hurt to give a dose of loxicom if you have any on hand as it's an anti inflammatory and can reduce swelling in the nasal passages says my vet.

It appears to be the season for it, two of mine started doing it out of the blue this time last week and neither have ever had so much as a runny nose for the 4 years I've had them! Might not hurt to give a dose of loxicom if you have any on hand as it's an anti inflammatory and might reduce swellig in the nasal passages.

sorry to hear yours are honking as well - did yours stop after a bit or did it require a vet visit?

I urge a vet visit. I waited a whole week as it was intermittent and by that time one of my pigs had nasal discharge and the other apparently had "harsh lung sounds". Definitely better safe than sorry!

Worth noting my vet thought an appointment could wait a day as it was a bank holiday (Boxing Day) so you'll probably be okay with going tomorrow. Make sure he's keeping up with his eating. :hug:

Made an appointment for 9:20 tomorrow morning, I’m dreading giving him what will probably be baytril because he bites kicks and screams when you try to give him anything via syringe. Will keep an eye on him, nothing stops my little fatty eating usually :) thank you :hug:

They will probably give him Sulfatrim as it's better for respiratory infections and doesn't taste quite so horrible! It's also only administered once a day so keeps the fighting with them to take it to a minimum ;). Have you tried mixing their syringed meds with a little Ribena or similar to take away the yucky taste?

Will be thinking about you tomorrow, try not to worry too much -- could even just be a tickly hay seed or dust up the nose!

They will probably give him Sulfatrim as it's better for respiratory infections and doesn't taste quite so horrible! It's also only administered once a day so keeps the fighting with them to take it to a minimum ;). Have you tried mixing their syringed meds with a little Ribena or similar to take away the yucky taste?

Will be thinking about you tomorrow, try not to worry too much -- could even just be a tickly hay seed or dust up the nose!
They’ve been for a few URI’s before and always been given baytril, I don’t blame him for overreacting it must be disgusting! If I asked for sulfatrim do you think they’d prescribe that instead? I’ve never tried Ribena, they’ve always told me to just add some water to dilute it a little bit. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts :) x

It never hurts to advocate for your piggy -- it is absolutely the norm to be given sulfatrim/septrin as first line treatment for URI these days. You could always say you are worried about the effect of Baytril on gut function and mention it's a struggle to administer due to the taste? If you're happy with Baytril ignore the above btw, he's your little chap and you know him best!

It never hurts to advocate for your piggy -- it is absolutely the norm to be given sulfatrim/septrin as first line treatment for URI these days. You could always say you are worried about the effect of Baytril on gut function and mention it's a struggle to administer due to the taste? If you're happy with Baytril ignore the above btw, he's your little chap and you know him best!

I’ve been lucky with my boys and baytril so far, Bruno hasn’t lost his appetite or anything when he’s had it, Bruno’s ever had it for honking as well. I did give him some loxicom and he did the normal kicking flailing and biting mummy, his first thought is to chew my face, thanks Bruno :) I’ll definitely enquire about the sulfatrim x

All the best for tomorrow.

Aw sorry gorgeous Bruno’s honking, hope the vets goes well tomorrow and he feels better soon :hug:xx

Back