Brushing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello, I have 3 long haired piggies, Galaxy, nibbles and fuzzums, Roddy is short haired, but likes being pampered anyway. My problem being that neither Galaxy or nibbles like being brushed. I can manage to brush Galaxy but nibbles is just a complete nightmare. He is some times even funny about being touched. Are long haired piggies sensitive on their back end? And does anyone have any tips to help with brushing. Nibbles can't be bribed with veggies either. He has got to the point now where he has started chattering his teeth at me, I will try trimming him again but I know that's going to be just as impossible, I'm completely stuck with what to do! Any help would be much appreciated thank you

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you tried covering a towel over his back, or a bit of fleece? It may calm him. Veg may be of persuasion too!

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think they are move sensitive around the rear end, mine certainly seem to be. We use either a wide tooth comb or a tangle teezer brush. I've found more often than not that knots and matts are easier to cut out than trying to brush out. Posh & go shampoo also leaves their hair very soft and easy to manage. I treat my girls like they were children, very gently and I take my time. I also give them a few breaks between brushing so it's not too stressful. I hope you find a way that's not too stressful for you all x

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think they are move sensitive around the rear end, mine certainly seem to be. We use either a wide tooth comb or a tangle teezer brush. I've found more often than not that knots and matts are easier to cut out than trying to brush out. Posh & go shampoo also leaves their hair very soft and easy to manage. I treat my girls like they were children, very gently and I take my time. I also give them a few breaks between brushing so it's not too stressful. I hope you find a way that's not too stressful for you all x
Yes I've always found Galaxy and nibbles to be sensitive around the back so that's good to know. I don't think he's got any knots or matts, I just want yo brush him to prevent them in the first point. I keep thinking about a bath so that I can trim him and tidy his hair up around his bum so I don't have to worry about a brush so much.

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I keep the bum area very short but still find loose bedding & wee can cause knots (only tiny ones but still enough to cause their hair to tug in the comb). When I'm blowing drying I use just my fingers to get rid of tugs. A yummy treat is a must too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.