• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bubbles Needs Help - Infected Wound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarandbubble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My poor Bubbles, a neutered five year old boar, seems to be having issues. He went to the vet last weekend and I was given antiseptic for a wound, the site of a benign tumor removal. Now, the wound looks like this.image.jpgimage.jpg
I've treated it twice a day as directed and also clipped short the fur around the wound. It seems infected, but he is eating/drinking normally and does not seem to be in any pain. Please help! Can I treat it with something beyond the antiseptic? What can I do for him?

Poor lad, that looks sore. Only advice I can give you is a vet. Hope it can be sorted.

Thanks- I've emailed all our small animal vets in the area, because the emergency vet (normal was full and still is) we took him to last weekend was about $200 for the visit not counting medicine. I'm hoping it won't be that much this time!

I am very sorry, but it really needs to be seen by a vet! :(

As soon as the offices open I'm calling every single one in addition to my emails. Poor boy I feel so bad! Is there anything I could do in the meantime to clean it or anything?

You can make your own saline solution by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 pint/500ml of boiled cooled water.

Definitely a vet visit required ASAP and I don;t think "just" a topical cream will help resolve this as it looks badly infected.
Bubbles will probably need oral antibiiotics and a painkiler and may even require further surgery to "debride" the wound (remove the necrotic dead infected tissue back to healthy tissue)...

In the interim I would bathe GENTLY with salt water as Wiebke has sugggested twice daily. Do not attempt to apply any other type of cream/lotion prior to seeing the vet as you could end up making it worse.

I have a boy with a very infected grease gland at the moment. We have taken swabs to determine what bug it is and what antibiotic will work best. I suggest you ask your vet to do the same so you don;t waste any time using the wrong antibiotic.

I hope he can get an appointment to see a cavy savvy vet quickly
x

It started bleeding profusely and we rushed him in. The vet says he's ok, it's a part of the tumor dying, the flesh inside the tumor turns necrotic and bleeds. He says he's not in pain and unless it gets infected he'll be ok, but I need to rinse with hydrogen perixide, chloraxamine, and a salt solution

I hope that it is going to heal well. All the best!

Glad to hear that it's nothing too bad and is the natural healing process! Sending healing vibes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back