buckwheat warming packets

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rushy

Bought my two new pigs yesterday they stayed in the house last night but are being moved into the shed tonight, I mentioned to the sales assistant in Pets at Home that I was worried about them being cold, she sold me one of these buckwheat warming soothers they are usually used for dogs. Its a material pouch and you put the buckweat things in the micowave, I was then just going to put in under the hay in the sleeping area. Could they chew through the material and get to the wheat bag, am wanting to sort this out before I put them to bed tonight. Please help

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
Not sure... hopefully someone will know. I know those snuggle safe microwave heatpads are safe. Does your shed have heating of any kind of insulation? It is very chilly at the mo. Especialy for young pigs moving from idoors outside. The best thing would be to try bring them indoors for the winter if that is possble. I know other memebers may be able to offer their tips for keeping outdoor piggys snug in the cold weather.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
my sheds have heating but i brought new 400 wt panel heaters which can and are left on all day and night they are not hot but keep the chill off unlike my old oil filled radiators they got hot and I had to time them to go off as it got too hot in there, the panels are perfect,

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
Sounds a bit like what we had at our old house which didn;t have central heating! They were thermostatically controlled radiators which just kept it at a constant temperature. Haven't needed them (yet) at the new house as the pipes for the C/H are in pigroom and keep it nice and temperate.

Anyone know about the wheatbags?

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that they are safe for guinea pigs, the sales assistant should have sold you a snugglesafe (P@H do sell them if it's not too late to swap, otherwise buy on line it's cheaper). I would have thought the wheaties would be easily chewed and dangerous for them.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
if they cant eat the contents then they should not be given them, but if the contents is safe then cant see a problem but they will chew it so it wont last long anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.