Building a wooden "cage"

dan3008

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some advice building a cage.

I was initially going to build a large cage, but I'm getting concerned that I'm going to have to separate 1 of my guineapigs, and get him a new friend.

To preempt this, I'm thinking of making a double decker cage like this C&C cage but out of wood.

Would you guys say that's a suitable size for 4 pigs (2 top 2 bottom)? Or would you be looking at making it bigger?

Plus side of this design, if I end up not needing to separate them, then the extra level can be used for storage

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If it’s for 2 boys on each level it should be 180x60cm at minimum, I assume you will only have 4 piggies if you need to separate the two you have? 🙂

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The cage in the picture isn’t big enough for two boars on each level. A 2x4 c&c (which is what the picture is of) only measures 150cm and you need 180cm for two boys (which is a 2x5 c&c cage).

(If you need to separate them, as I think we have previously mentioned, while you still have a single piggy they cannot live in a stacked cage. A single piggy needs to be next to the pair to keep the interaction through the bars and prevent loneliness. Once he has a friend of his own, they can then live in a stacked cage).

dan3008

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks both, so minimum 180*60 for 2 boys. Good to know.

Piggies&buns, yeh youd said :) I've been able to move things around a bit to accommodate a second cage next to this one for a little bit while I introduce a new friend for the separate piggy.

I'm probably being a bit slow here, but can that scale directly. So 180*90 or 270*60 for 3 pigs ect?

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is a cage size guide under the housing tab, it have all the different dimensions you should aim for in there!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can’t remember exactly but you may need an additional square metre per boar piggy. Someone correct me if wrong.

But you are best working on the premise of separating one and bonding him with a friend of his own. They’re very unlikely to get through the teenage months as a trio. I know you’re hoping it would work, but unfortunately that’s not the reality. And you don’t want them being injured. Observe and enjoy for now then separate once you can see which two are best suited together.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks both, so minimum 180*60 for 2 boys. Good to know.

Piggies&buns, yeh youd said :) I've been able to move things around a bit to accommodate a second cage next to this one for a little bit while I introduce a new friend for the separate piggy.

I'm probably being a bit slow here, but can that scale directly. So 180*90 or 270*60 for 3 pigs ect?
So the cage size for two boys is 180 x 60.
(A c&c cage actually measures slightly over that as the grids are 35cm each not 30cm)

As you’re attempting three boars you go as big as you possibly can and allowing one square metre per piggy - so you need a cage with the floor space of three square metres. More space does not mean they will get on though.

Once again though, I wouldn’t recommend attempting it, I would just separate them out into a pair and a single right now and save yourself the worry and potential injuries and vet treatment of a fight. If a fight does break out, hopefully you would still have the option of creating a functioning pair and a single, but a bad fight, at worst, can break all bonds and result in all the piggies fighting which means you’d have to have three single piggies, three cages and three more piggies as friends.

Cage Size Guide - this is the cage size guide but it’s more accurate to sows in that when keeping three sows you add in an extra two square feet for every extra piggy.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Last edited:

dan3008

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was hoping to avoid advice around splitting ect on this thread. I'm pretty much resigned to split them, I just need to work out which 2 to keep together, hence I'm looking at a 2 tier cage. (And obviously build the second home for them)

I was just looking for advice on size because I've seen so much contradicting info online.

I only asked about bigger cage sizes out of interest and to future proof my build. I'm that sort of person.

Thanks again

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s okay to ask questions, we actively encourage it 😁 if you can build a cage big enough for a pair then do (post photos as well!). Just be aware that while you have a single and a pair, the single has to live alongside the pair so he can still have interaction - something very important for them.

Stacked cages are fab. My two pairs are in a stacked 2x5 c&c. They absolutely love it. And in fact the more space you can give them the happier they’ll be. Zooming around etc! Don’t forget to use some of the dirty bedding when you move them into their new digs.