• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Building my own outdoor run.

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Couldn't for the life of me find a run that would fit the space I have....so I set about building my own.

Artificial grass on top of weed membrane. This is a neglected ex-jungle of 10ft woody shrubs. I've been stripping out 4 species of ivy roots for months. I'm paranoid about them coming through. Hence the membrane and artificial grass base.

Measurements: 2400x900x45mm so 23.25sq ft of outdoor fun.
A work in progress but pleased with it so far. I did this 😄 All by myself!20200809_181501.jpg20200809_181452.jpg

Beautiful! Please be aware (you may well have though of this already!) that artificial grass can get very hot in the sun.

My backside discovered this the other week. :yikes:

Luckily most of this is in thd shade of my huge pear tree for most of the day and I create shade using old towels and my garden parasol.

I wouldn't put them outside on hot days anyway.

Looks great but think I’d be worried about them eating it when it looks so tempting! My Luigi would certainly stuff himself with the stuff!
But I’ve never put piggies on artificial grass so no experience whatsoever, just because I’ve got a naughty chew-monster!

The run looks fantastic! I was about to comment the same as @alpacasqueak ... my boys are big chewers - they loved chewing their bubbly bath mats in their cage to bits and would be tempted to chew it too I’m sure! :doh:

Chewing it had crossed my mind too. Eventually I'd like to rip up the grass and turf it but at the moment I don't want to risk the ivy. It grows like a weed and I'd never forgive myself if the boys got to it.
I have a patio that I can use the run on with children's foam squares so they're not running on slabs. I will also be throwing around generous helpings of hand cut grass from the 'unkempt' front lawn/meadow/jungle for enrichment amongst other things. I'd put them there but it's the front (not enclosed) and its full of buttercup and others I'm dubious about the suitability for pigs.

I just want another area they can explore and play in.

Progress today but breaking the staple gun stopped play. Waiting on Amazon.
20200810_162752.jpg20200810_162735.jpg

I was just thinking about you worrying about ivy growing up and wondered if the weed control fabric you can buy would help solve the problem about ivy growing up through grass? I’m by no means a gardening expert but me and my partner just bought some to stop the weeds growing up through some of the gravel in the garden! 9D128B45-4E8B-47B9-AFD1-00EBAF134A17.png

I have weed control fabric down under the artificial grass otherwise it would grow through that too.

Looks good, I think I’d feel much safer myself not putting them on the artificial grass just in case. But like I said, I’ve not used it with pigs, just know what these chewy rodents are like!
It’s great you’re planning so well for them, the fluffy piggles are very lucky! :D

I'm so excited! I loved my herd of 5 girlies and its only been because I'm having to wait 5 weeks for my boys that I realised how much I missed pigs.

I'm so excited! I loved my herd of 5 girlies and its only been because I'm having to wait 5 weeks for my boys that I realised how much I missed pigs.
Aah so pleased you can rekindle your piggy love then! :D They’re gorgeous, remind me a bit of my Sheepy the alpaca with all that mad hair, can’t wait to see lots more pics when they’ve arrived :love:

Back