• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Building on top of/onto old cage

What about those wooden bridges for small animals. Have you tried those? Don’t give up just yet
Wooden bridges? I don't think I've seen those. I have a couple plastic bridges but i couldnt find any way to affix them to the plastic cage and coroplast, plus the pigs don't like them. I thought about putting carpet on them but I feel like they are just too flimsy to go through all that.

I use one of the wooden bridges for my girls so they can come and go during floor time.
I would have used that as a link when I extended my cage if I hadn’t decided to cut the correx
I haven't seen wooden bridges at petco or online. Can they be built? Or bought online?

I have two cages simlar to yours, one for Finn and one for Lara. I am reading your thread trying to find solution in case I run into your scenario. Mine won't be having babies but I might bring friends for my Finn and Lara making it necessary to add more room.

Currently, I have a separate playpen Finn and Lara play at different times. I physically put them in the playpen as there is no tunnel to lead them to their playpen.

I'm not sure if this is the same for all pigs, but both of mine just love to run and run and run all the time. I actually had a separate playpen for my pigs as well, which is where I got my metal panels from. I would also pick them up to move them to the playpen every day. It worked well for me, but not for my mom. She didn't like it being in the living room for all to see and smell even though I cleaned it often, which is why I decided to just extend my current one to make a more spacious and comfortable home.

I see what you mean.
My metal cages were around $100 each and I have two, and they both have wheels on them.

Have you considered C&C cage? They seem to be very popular among many members here.

When I was measuring everything, I cut the walls of the coroplast to be about 8 inches tall, just to try to minimize the amount of bedding they kicked out. I believe the cage has 8 inch or 9 inch walls as well.
My big mistake was deciding to cut the wall of the plastic cage. I didn't cut the whole thing off, but immediately realized my mistake. Now I'm stuck trying to put it back together. The coroplast wasn't as big of a deal since I could duct tape it, but yeah.

Something like this but longer may work: Kaytee Tropical Fiddle Sticks Small Animal Flexible Hideout
I think this is one of the wooden bridges others mentioned.

This is the wooden bridge.
I buy mine in Pets at Home. They come flat so you can bend them as needed.
I use them as hideys in the cage, bridges and toys.

Attachments

• 0DCC9254-4E07-4AFF-B7BB-F0D2ADCA7F3C.jpeg
    0DCC9254-4E07-4AFF-B7BB-F0D2ADCA7F3C.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 7136EAB4-367E-41BB-9882-77AFD7687EA1.jpeg
    7136EAB4-367E-41BB-9882-77AFD7687EA1.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
I've since put the blue cage back together in one piece and left the two cages close together while trying to find a bridge and whatnot, and they started going back and forth without the bridge. Didn't think they could do that. But they seem to be arguing a lot less often now, and appear to be enjoying their time apart, almost?
They will swap cages a few times a day. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 20180917_101137.jpg
    20180917_101137.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 12
I see what you mean.
My metal cages were around $100 each and I have two, and they both have wheels on them.

Have you considered C&C cage? They seem to be very popular among many members here.

Yes, I considered just kind of taking my current cage apart and making a full size C & C cage, but I wanted to be able to use my current cage since it was expensive. But, I guess in the end, I technically made a C & C cage. I just attached it to my old cage.

This is the wooden bridge.
I buy mine in Pets at Home. They come flat so you can bend them as needed.
I use them as hideys in the cage, bridges and toys.
Looking at that one now. Do you know if it would be long enough to fit over both sides? On one side it's probably 6 inches deep and on the other about 8.

Glad they are able to go through what seems to be a bit of a height there.

I was thinking maybe some sort of step up if you can’t find one long enough. Maybe a really small cushion on one side or both under the bridge?

I’ve seen others have really cute piggie cushions. Or you could even make your own with some stuffing and fleece and sewing machine/kits. Surely their is YouTube tutorials.

I was thinking maybe some sort of step up if you can’t find one long enough. Maybe a really small cushion on one side or both under the bridge?

I’ve seen others have really cute piggie cushions. Or you could even make your own with some stuffing and fleece and sewing machine/kits. Surely their is YouTube tutorials.
I was thinking about that too. When I went to the store yesterday, I even looked in the reptile section to try to find something or anything long enough that would work but didn't find what I need.
A pig pillow might work, but I feel like the first thing Oliver would do is go around it and under it and push it out of the way.
I wonder if a wood platform/steps would be a better solution. But I don't know what kind of wood splinters and what doesn't in case they decide it looks yummy.

Back