• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bulging Eye

LukeH94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Our little Peaches has a protruding eye which has come on over a week. She is in no visible pain, is not scratching at the eye or even touching it at all. Shes eating fine and still popcorns so her behaviour has not changed.
She has a vet appointment booked already but I was was wondering if anyone had experience with anything similar to this and could offer any advice or suggestions? Thanks.20190726_134754.jpg

Hi everyone,
Our little Peaches has a protruding eye which has come on over a week. She is in no visible pain, is not scratching at the eye or even touching it at all. Shes eating fine and still popcorns so her behaviour has not changed.
She has a vet appointment booked already but I was was wondering if anyone had experience with anything similar to this and could offer any advice or suggestions? Thanks.View attachment 118842

My beloved Mo suffered a similar occurrence. However, within a day the eye worsened significantly going red/cloudy and was for sure blind out of it.

If this is over a week and a gradual change it could perhaps be an ulcer behind the eye or a abscess? I know my vet offered to put a dye in the eye that would change colour if it was just an abscess, but definitely listen to what the vet suggests.

Do you reckon she can still use that eye?

(She's beautiful by the way and I wish her best of luck at the vets. Unfortunately my boys eye led to him being euthanised 😥 so I know how scary a vet visit like this can be!)

My beloved Mo suffered a similar occurrence. However, within a day the eye worsened significantly going red/cloudy and was for sure blind out of it.

If this is over a week and a gradual change it could perhaps be an ulcer behind the eye or a abscess? I know my vet offered to put a dye in the eye that would change colour if it was just an abscess, but definitely listen to what the vet suggests.

Do you reckon she can still use that eye?

(She's beautiful by the way and I wish her best of luck at the vets. Unfortunately my boys eye led to him being euthanised 😥 so I know how scary a vet visit like this can be!)

She can open and close her eye without any visible problems and she doesnt appear to have lost any vision in that eye but shes a very skittish piggy anyway so it's hard to judge it.

It is very scary, I really do hope shes okay.

I'm sorry about your piggy :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

When is your vet appointment?
Hope all goes well.
Will be keeping you in my thoughts

Hi, any eye injury or bulging eye needs to be checked out by a good vet asap. Eyes can go downhill very quickly and sometimes bulging eyes can dry out which can cause problems meaning it needs removing. There is a possibility that there could be a retrobulbar abscess behind the eye too which will need prompt treatment

You little piggies is in our thoughts, hope it’s not too serious x

Fingers firmly crossed!
Any eye problem - and a bulging eye is one - should be seen by a vet as promptly as possible.

I fully agree with what @Lady Kelly has said.

Hi everyone,
Just an update on little Peaches. She has a small ulcer in the corner of her eye. The eye doesn't seem to be bulging today but does seem quite inflamed.
We've been given topical drops and an oral painkiller. The vet said it should be cleared by monday because it's only small but we have a follow up appointment just in case.
So fingers crossed, and thanks everyone for your replies <3

Hi everyone,
Just an update on little Peaches. She has a small ulcer in the corner of her eye. The eye doesn't seem to be bulging today but does seem quite inflamed.
We've been given topical drops and an oral painkiller. The vet said it should be cleared by monday because it's only small but we have a follow up appointment just in case.
So fingers crossed, and thanks everyone for your replies <3

All the best and thank you for the update!

Back