Bullied guinea pig?

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So my youngest guinea pig, Tammy, is always getting bullied (?) by my other 2 guinea pigs by biting her and Tammy doesnt fight back. Apple would sometimes nibble her only when she comes too close but Willow seems to bite her way more even when tammy isnt too close and Tammy would always squeak really loud when they do that like shes in pain which makes me sad. However apple and willow really like each other. What should I do

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds like they are establishing the hierarchy and not bullying (if I remember rightly your piggies are 2, 5 and 6 months old and the youngest has only recently been added to the group), the nipping is a judged nip and dominance behaviour. The squeaking loudly is submission and not a squeak of pain - she is accepting her place in the hierarchy and saying that she knows the others are more dominant than her. You don’t need to do anything in this situation

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Oh yes and sorry turns out the youngest is 3 months ish so. Oh good to know but its been 3 weeks and theyre still nipping at her is that normal?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh yes and sorry turns out the youngest is 3 months ish so. Oh good to know but its been 3 weeks and theyre still nipping at her is that normal?
Dominance behaviours are lifelong behaviours, you will also see spikes in dominance behaviours when sows are in season

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! So my youngest guinea pig, Tammy, is always getting bullied (?) by my other 2 guinea pigs by biting her and Tammy doesnt fight back. Apple would sometimes nibble her only when she comes too close but Willow seems to bite her way more even when tammy isnt too close and Tammy would always squeak really loud when they do that like shes in pain which makes me sad. However apple and willow really like each other. What should I do
Hi!

Please have a read of sow dominance behaviours in this guide here: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)