• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bumble foot

Thebubbypiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I need help! I have a guinea pig at the age of 3 years and I noticed rn that he had bumble foot in his front feet, not his back feet. I have him some metacam for any pain and coconut oiled them. The vet is closed and we can’t really afford going to the vet because it cost 400 dollars just to go in. Please help. Is there anything I can do until Monday or is it really a hurry up ASAP type of thing?

Btw i didnt SEE any sores atm just that it is bigger and a little bit dry.

Another thing : he still eats and poops and drinks as normal. When he walk and I touch his foot he doesn’t really show any signs of being in pain, but gave him a painkiller (metacam)

Btw i didnt SEE any sores atm just that it is bigger and a little bit dry.

Hi!

Can you please post a picture of the paws in case your piggy has harmless and very common foot spurs and not bumblefoot. Both issues affect normally only the weight bearing front feet unless guinea pigs are kept in unsuitable wire cages or very filthy conditions, which can result in an infection in all feet.
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems
Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis

Hi!

Can you please post a picture of the paws in case your piggy has harmless and very common foot spurs and not bumblefoot. Both issues affect normally only the weight bearing front feet unless guinea pigs are kept in unsuitable wire cages or very filthy conditions, which can result in an infection in all feet.
I looked under one of the feet and that one has a sore

Attachments

• DE998F29-079C-4D8D-86EA-EB1156F2BD52.jpeg
    DE998F29-079C-4D8D-86EA-EB1156F2BD52.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 16D80D7F-F59F-4C62-811A-19EF62F9D2B1.jpeg
    16D80D7F-F59F-4C62-811A-19EF62F9D2B1.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
Ouch. I agree that your piggy does seem to have Bumblefoot. Your piggy needs antibiotics that can only be prescribed by a vet who has seen and diagnosed the problem. No home remedies will sort this out. You really do need to see a vet as soon as possible.

Ouch. I agree that your piggy does seem to have Bumblefoot. Your piggy needs antibiotics that can only be prescribed by a vet who has seen and diagnosed the problem. No home remedies will sort this out. You really do need to see a vet as soon as possible.
Will try to Get my mum to call today and Get him in:) will probably be 600 dollars but

Ed
is it an early stage as I haven’t noticed until today?

Going to call the vet in the morning and clean the sore with klorhexidin.

Update if anyone wondering. We were just at the vet and he got antibiotics and painkillers and they took a swap of his foot so they could figure out what bacteria it is. He also got a footbath.

Hope the treatment works quickly.
Well done getting him to the vet so promptly.
This is why a vet fund is a good idea. My piggies nearly emptied my fund last year but I was so glad I had the money saved

Hope the treatment works quickly.
Well done getting him to the vet so promptly.
This is why a vet fund is a good idea. My piggies nearly emptied my fund last year but I was so glad I had the money saved
Yea. We decided to wait just like to the morning as my vet don’t really priorities small animals unless it is like deadly deadly at the spot (in the weekends)
I do have a vet fund, but we had a dog with epilepsy that we had to say goodbye to in December because his epilepsy was really bad (we paid over 4000 dollars for him, and yes we got something back but not everything) and in November I lost my other guinea pig to a case where the veterinarians has no idea both in the country and overseas as you know they have platforms to talk to each other. They had never seen anything like that. But they reassured me that it wasn’t me that had done anything wrong becauE I adopted him (and his friend) from a child family and the damage in his stomach was older than when I got him. So they think the children might have dropped him and then he turned wrong now and opened the stomach sack... idk. So it takes some time to save up you know:)

Hope the antibiotics work soon for the little chap.
Really hope so. The swelling went a lot down on it own too so we hope he has a good immune system as he have never been sick before:) thank u💛

Yea. We decided to wait just like to the morning as my vet don’t really priorities small animals unless it is like deadly deadly at the spot (in the weekends)
I do have a vet fund, but we had a dog with epilepsy that we had to say goodbye to in December because his epilepsy was really bad (we paid over 4000 dollars for him, and yes we got something back but not everything) and in November I lost my other guinea pig to a case where the veterinarians has no idea both in the country and overseas as you know they have platforms to talk to each other. They had never seen anything like that. But they reassured me that it wasn’t me that had done anything wrong becauE I adopted him (and his friend) from a child family and the damage in his stomach was older than when I got him. So they think the children might have dropped him and then he turned wrong now and opened the stomach sack... idk. So it takes some time to save up you know:)
You’ve had a rough time with losing both your dog and other guinea pig.
So sorry to hear about those losses.
I know the time it takes to replenish a vet fund and sometimes it feels that no sooner have you saved up again than there’s another draw on it!

You’ve had a rough time with losing both your dog and other guinea pig.
So sorry to hear about those losses.
I know the time it takes to replenish a vet fund and sometimes it feels that no sooner have you saved up again than there’s another draw on it!
Yea, i was also in saying goodbye to my other baby last Thursday. Went from 4 to 2 in a few months. But I’m just glad both of them are no longer in pain😌 may they fly high.

Update: we are going to take him to the vet today to let him rest. There weren’t anything we could do for him unfortunately.

That is really sad and I am really sorry to hear that and I’m sorry about your loss of your other guinea pig and dog, I know how painful it is as my guinea pig passed away yesterday. I hope you’re okay and think about the good memories and how well you looked after her.

Back