• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bumblefoot?

Julia Rafferty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
image.jpg I have a pig who was born with extra toes hanging by a thread of skin. We got on amputated and there were some complications. There was a small blood vessel and he began to bleed and got an infection. So, we decided not to amputate the other because he ignored it. It dangles so much that he steps on the nail though. I round out and clip the nail everyday to make sure it is as comfy as possible but idk if it is enough. We want it to fall off on its own because we had to inbound him from his cage mate when he got the infection... they scream when they aren’t together. The cuddle every night and I can’t do that to them again. So I was just wondering if this looked serious and if there is anything else I could do to the nail. Sorry about the quality but he was restless. If you need another pic I can try again tomorrow

View attachment 80524 I have a pig who was born with extra toes hanging by a thread of skin. We got on amputated and there were some complications. There was a small blood vessel and he began to bleed and got an infection. So, we decided not to amputate the other because he ignored it. It dangles so much that he steps on the nail though. I round out and clip the nail everyday to make sure it is as comfy as possible but idk if it is enough. We want it to fall off on its own because we had to inbound him from his cage mate when he got the infection... they scream when they aren’t together. The cuddle every night and I can’t do that to them again. So I was just wondering if this looked serious and if there is anything else I could do to the nail. Sorry about the quality but he was restless. If you need another pic I can try again tomorrow

I am very sorry for your bad experience when your vet removed the first toe. The other one should be operated off, too, if it gets in the way of him moving around. The condition is called polydactyly (having many toes). Any competent vet should be able to do it without complications.

Sorry, your picture is no help.

Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

I am very sorry for your bad experience when your vet removed the first toe. The other one should be operated off, too, if it gets in the way of him moving around. The condition is called polydactyly (having many toes). Any competent vet should be able to do it without complications.

Sorry, your picture is no help.

Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems
Ok thank you we are working on getting him to a better vet.

Back