• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bunny Nature Shuttle Trial From Zooplus

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have just ordered some more Vitacraft emotion nuggets from ZooPlus and I ordered one of these sets too to see what it was like.
http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/food/guinea_pig/bunny/448274

It seems to be described as a pack to use to help with the process of moving your piggies over to BunnyBasic nuggets (the ones @helen105281 has investigated and highly recommends).

Whilst I don't think it is essential to buy a pack like this, I was intrigued and, as I've had to feed Burgess Blackcurrant nuggets for the last 2 days due to running out of all other options (zooplus very quick to deliver I just left ordering slightly too late), I thought I could use this to ease our piggies back onto the vitacraft.

Thought I'd post some pics and my experience in case anyone is interested.

First the main changeover food (Bunny Shuttle). I can see this is an attempt to fool piggies into thinking they've still got muesli. It's clear the "bits" are dried veg and leaves. The main content is the pellets. Piggies' verdict: disgusted snifs at the bowls before walking away. The information sheet tells you to not refill the bowls until they are empties. I put it in last night, overnight they've clearly tried some but the bowls aren't empty yet in our group of 4. Our pair of sows have determinedly refused to touch it which is interesting as they were the biggest Vitacraft fans. The pair of boars have eaten the nuggets but not the "bits".

image.jpg
Close up:
image.jpg

Next the treat stuff - seems to be a lot of dried carrot in this. The instructions tell you to add just a tablespoon per piggy. I gave about half that. Piggies' verdict: this was also sniffed at and then left but within 2 minutes they all came back and ate this.

image.jpg image.jpg

Then the hay. I had a good smell of this. It smelled sweet and was a nice green colour (might not show up too well on the photo). It was soft too and the cut was a reasonable length. I'd say it seems as good as the Ings hay from hay for pets. Piggies' verdict: as happy to munch on this as their usual Ings.

image.jpg

I haven't tried the other supplement that was in the pack - it says to add a tablespoon to nuggets and use it at times when your piggies are stressed.

I will watch this thread with great interest - I am thinking of changing my guinea pigs over to this food .

I didn't know they did that. Not surprised they wouldn't eat the pellets, they do take some getting used to.

Group of 4 sows have now finished their bowls of the Shuttle mix. Took them just under 24 hours so not actually any longer than it would normally take for them to eat the Vitacraft.

How's it going ?

I've just got my delivery of Bunny Guinea Pig Dream ( I just went for the pellets - not the shuttle set)

Max was by the food bowl so I put one piece in and he picked it up straight away and started eating it. Hope this just isn't beginners luck |

Just a question for @helen105281 . Hi Helen my Amos has been on the Bunny pellets now since before Christmas. He is getting quite bulky now and I am a bit concerned I am overfeeding him. I cannot understand the instructions (all german to me) so could you just advise me how many I should give to Amos who is about 11 months old now and very active.
~Thanks Val

Oh heck - a lot more than that. I will reduce them immediately. He will eat everything you put before him! Thanks Helen.

That's ok, I would reduce gradually though. The idea is they are supposed to eat mostly hay with only a handful of pellets and a small amount of veg.

I don't know how my lot are going to cope with 5 pellets each per day !

They are on Science Selective at the moment . I was intending to the change over very slowly but they seem to have taken to the Bunny Dream so, although I'll do a gradual changeover, it's going to be quicker than I expected it to be.

thanks Helen. Amos always has plenty of hay and daily veg. He was hyper active when I first got him. He was on Burgess and P@H pellets prior to going on Bunny. I will be careful with his Bunny from now on. I know he'll be very demanding as he's a real character.

I don't know how my lot are going to cope with 5 pellets each per day !

They are on Science Selective at the moment . I was intending to the change over very slowly but they seem to have taken to the Bunny Dream so, although I'll do a gradual changeover, it's going to be quicker than I expected it to be.
That's what I thought when I saw the Bunny. But don't do what I did and give too much. He accepted the change from pellets to Bunny really quickly

That's what I thought when I saw the Bunny. But don't do what I did and give too much. He accepted the change from pellets to Bunny really quickly

I was really surprised after hearing that some guineas don't take to it. Max ate his from the bowl straight away. Bess was resting on a cosy but looked interested so I gave her one and she ate it straight away . Then Sparkle turned up ( can't miss out on anything ) and she took one and ate it too ! I'm only doing a gradual changeover to ensure that I don't upset their tummies .

They are never without hay and get a side salad morning and evening so I shouldn't really have to worry too much about "rationing " their pellets.

I have two five year olds that didn't take to it. But I do put a couple of broken Bunny pellets in which disappear so they will eat it. When I have got their mystery skin fungi?mite problem sorted I will try to convert them again.

@Chief Guinea Pig how is it going with your girls? All our piggies are back on Vitacraft but I think they would eat Bunny based on that trial pack.
@worried val of york I had a similar moment to you when I realised (from people on here) that they only need about 5-10 Vitacraft nuggets each per day. I've had to do a gradual reduction and am still getting grief from the piggies about it several weeks later! I've always provided unlimited hay (and daily veg) but I've noticed hay consumption has dramatically increased in the last 4 weeks. I can't decide if it is them accepting they can't hold out for more nuggets or whether they are eating more because the weather has been colder - we do put our heating on!

Likewise, I was concerned how my guinea pigs would cope with a reduction in pellets.

Mine are still in transition but I am noticing that, when I change their food bowl , all the Bunny Pellets have gone and there are usually some of their previous brand still there.

@Chief Guinea Pig how is it going with your girls? All our piggies are back on Vitacraft but I think they would eat Bunny based on that trial pack.
@worried val of york I had a similar moment to you when I realised (from people on here) that they only need about 5-10 Vitacraft nuggets each per day. I've had to do a gradual reduction and am still getting grief from the piggies about it several weeks later! I've always provided unlimited hay (and daily veg) but I've noticed hay consumption has dramatically increased in the last 4 weeks. I can't decide if it is them accepting they can't hold out for more nuggets or whether they are eating more because the weather has been colder - we do put our heating on!
I haven't started using them yet :P I will let you know when I do though.

This might sound really silly... But because they only have a set amount of pellets each per day, how do you ensure they get the right amount? What if one piggy hogs them and the other doesn't get as much? Like I said, it's probably really obvious and I just can't see it! (I blame lack of sleep!)

This might sound really silly... But because they only have a set amount of pellets each per day, how do you ensure they get the right amount? What if one piggy hogs them and the other doesn't get as much? Like I said, it's probably really obvious and I just can't see it! (I blame lack of sleep!)

That's a very good question. We all have dominance behaviours amongst our guinea pigs .

I am still in the "cutting down " phase. I am putting out fresh hay at the same time as I top up their pellet bowl and am noticing my guinea pigs prioritise hay to pellets.

When they are on Bunny Pellets only ( 5 per pig per day) I'll have to kep an eye on them.

Any ideas @helen105281 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back