• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Burgess excel nuggets vs P@H nuggets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DizzyDinosaur

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mojo and Smudgy where originally fed P@H nuggets when my friend owned them and now I am currently fostering them or possibly keeping them (hopefully keeping for ever and ever)
I switched them over to excel nuggets as that is what I was feeding Rex pig (RIP) 8...

Is there anything wrong with P@H nuggets and can I switch back to them as they are alot cheaper than burgess nuggets.
They do get their daily veg, readigrass due to the cold and wetness and plenty of hay.

For ever and ever :)

Well looking at the info on the P@H website it says;

Composition: Wheat and Oat Bran, Grass Meal, Soya, Peas, Unmolassed Sugar Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Vegetable Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Calcium Carbonate.

Analytical Constituents: Moisture 10%, Protein 16%, Oils and Fats 3%, Fibre 16%, Ash 6.5%.

And I can't find the burgess ingredients. I'm no expert but the P@H brad seems to be full of rubbish. Wouldn't yeast cause them to bloat up :...

But I'm not expert, maybe someone with a bit more in depth knowledge on diet needs will help

Mine have pets at home nuggets along with Wagg guinea pig crunch but they have recently gone off pets at home nuggets so I'm trying them with science selective with dandelion and nettle. They love it.

Personally, I would recommend Wagg Optimum Premium Guinea Pig Food, if you would like a cost effective alternative to Burgess Excel Guinea Pig!

The P@H nuggets don't give calcium content or Vit C level.

Burgess Compostion:

Grass, Maize, Wheat, Lucerne, Soya Bean Hulls, Peas, Soya, Oat Bran, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Yeast, Soya Oil, Ligno cellulose, Molasses, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Vitamins, Fructo-oligosaccharides 0.25%, Salt, Minerals. Contains Natural Antioxidants.

Analytical Constituents:

Beneficial Fibre 36%, Crude Fibre 17%, Protein 17%, Oils and Fats 4%, Ash 6%, Calcium 0.9%, Phosphorous 0.50%, Vitamin A 22000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1500iu/kg, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol acetate) 120mg/kg, Vitamin C 800mg/kg, Copper as cupric sulphate 12mg/kg.

Feeding Guide (approximate per day)

You should feed guinea pigs an average of 30gm -50gm. per day.

Suzy x

Wagg Optimum info

Wagg Optimum Premium Guinea Pig Food is available in 2.5kg, 10kg packs.
Composition

Sunflower Ext., Wheatfeed, Lucerne, Oatfeed, Maize, Grass, Apple, Grape, Carob Meal, Vegetable Oil, Linseed, Minerals, Yeast (0.1%)
Additives (per kg)

Vitamin A (E672) 15,000 iu, Vitamin D3 (E671) 1,500 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 90 iu, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 240 mg. Trace Elements: E1 Iron (iron III ferric oxide) 160 mg, E1 Iron (iron sulphate) 10 mg, E2 Iodine (calcium iodate) 1.5 mg, E4 Copper (cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 6 mg, E5 Manganese (manganous oxide) 30 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc oxide) 25 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc chelate) 25 mg. Antioxidant
Analytical Constituents

Protein 17%, Fat Content 4.5%, Crude Fibre 17%, Crude Ash 7%

Suzy x

Mine have pets at home nuggets along with Wagg guinea pig crunch but they have recently gone off pets at home nuggets so I'm trying them with science selective with dandelion and nettle. They love it.

Yes Ive just started mine on the Science selective Dandelion and nettle. They seem to really love these nuggets as I'm having to top their bowl up 2 times a day instead of only once. :)) (And I noticed that these were also advertised on the back of Guinea Pig magazine - this months issue!)

They used to have Burgess and P@H nuggets (not at the same time, id alternate). They used to really like the Blackcurrent nuggets, but for some unknown reason I havent been able to find these for about 6 months now. Have they stopped making the Blackcurrent nuggets (in an orange bag, also sold in P@H and other pet shops)?? :(

I would say the Burgess ones have far better quality ingredients. It is worth spending more if it is for health. My piggies eat this and they love it.

Hiya

Just to let you know I got some of the Blackcurrent nuggets today from a P@H and it looks like the bag has changed colouring slightly and the nuggets are a lot smaller than the original flavour ones so not sure if this is why?

not wanting to start another thread. In Sainsburys today with sister, never shop in there. They had some dry dandelion and other green stuff about £3. a packet. Only small packet. I nearly bought some and then thought what if Bertie doesnt like it, (and I had just told OH he couldnt have any cherries reduced to 99p) anyone tried them? they also had a non drip water bottle for £3? any users?

Seems like the experienced members of the forum recommend Excel, and from reading the forum in general the advice is always sound.

I bought P@H pellets for my lot at the beginning, but it actually caused 2 of piggies to develop UTIs and kidney stones in one of them, which I had to take to the vet for several months. Through a process of elimination (changing different bedding, surfaces, veggies etc.) We soon realised it was actually down to the pellets, so we stopped feeding them it and slowly introduced them to Excel, as quickly as we could!

Since changing to Excel, we've had no painful wheeks in the last 3 months!

(I wrote to P@H to complain about the food, but they never did reply!)

I was recently sent a free sample of Science Selective (dandelion and fennel) and the greedy ones love it!

oh who makes the science selective I love free samples!

suem - I bought one of those dry dandelion and hay bags a couple of months ago from sanisburys and to be honest it wasn't anything special (not for the price anyway) and on closer inspection it seemed to have bits of popcorn in it!
I had to try a bit to be certain :red :)) I picked those pieces out but the pigs still weren't fussed with it.

Wilkinsons do their own green oat and dandelion bags for about £2.20, you don't get a huge amount but the quality is pretty good.

My Tribe went collectively off Burgess a year ago and preferred p@h pellets. I have since switched to serving a mix of different brands.

It is worth knowing that Burgess pellets mush up very quickly in contact with water or saliva, so they are not that hard to grind down for back teeth as other brands, which is great if you need to hand feed but it could contribute towards more tooth problems in the long run.

I've noticed at work how quickly Burgess pellets mush up in contact with moisture, where at P@H take forever to soften down. Personally mine wont touch Burgess, i've tried a few times to wean the onto them but they wont take. Currently mine are on a real mix of brands, wagg, p@h & science selective. Two pairs love the SS but the other wont touch it, otherwise i'd feed that all the time.

It is worth knowing that Burgess pellets mush up very quickly in contact with water or saliva, so they are not that hard to grind down for back teeth as other brands, which is great if you need to hand feed but it could contribute towards more tooth problems in the long run.

Surely the nuggets are not meant for keeping teeth trim, thats what the hay does?

Sorry to point it out etc.

x.

Hiya

Just to let you know I got some of the Blackcurrent nuggets today from a P@H and it looks like the bag has changed colouring slightly and the nuggets are a lot smaller than the original flavour ones so not sure if this is why?

Yes, they've undergone a re-brand. The normal ones now are shown as being mint flavoured too. My piggies love both sorts.

My lot love the Bunny Nature nuggets which are really long, oblong shaped and appear (to the piggies) to be utterly delicious. I get them from Hay Experts (at this link for anyone who wants to find out more https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Food.10/View+Foods+by+Animal.145/Guinea+Pig+Food.147/ ) but you can also get them from Zooplus when they are the same but german branded.

They're quite pricey though (£6.64 for 1.5 kg and that's reduced), but here is the list of ingredients etc

Ingredients: Alfalfa, wheat bran, oat husk bran, carrot pomace, sunflower meal extract, fruit pomace, growth of Allgäu permanent grassland*, flax meal, brewer’s hops, brewer's yeast, rape expeller, sodium chloride.

*Allgäu permanent grassland consists of species-rich grasses, herbs and clovers, in detail:

Timothy grass, meadow fescue, foxtail, ryegrass, red fescue, Kentucky blue grass, redtop grass, oat grass, yellow oat grass, Dutch clover, red clover, butterjags, dandelion, goose grass, chickweed, yarrow, ribwort, dock.

Typical Analysis: Raw protein 14.5 % • Raw fat 3.0 % • Raw fibre 20.0 % • Raw ash 7.0 % • Calcium 0.8 % • Phosphorus 0.4 % Additives per kg Vitamin A 10000 IU • Vitamin D3 1200 IU • Alpha tocopherol acetate (Vit. E) 40 mg • Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) 600 mg • Copper-(II)-sulphate, Pentahydrate 7.5mg

There is another thread going about burgess introducing a new variety of all in one nuggets, maybe these are going to be similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back