• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

burgess excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello,

on the 4/11/10 i took my guinea pig Currant to the vets as she was having trouble eating. they said she had a problem with her teeth so they operated the next day, when i picked her up the vet nurse asked me what i fed my piggies. i said lots of hay and veg and gerty guinea. she said that piggies can be picky with their food and that i should try burgess excel which is what they have at the vets. so i mixed it in with their gerty so they could get used it but they won't touch it! Currant died on the sunday and the whole point of getting the food was to help her.
all my other piggies eat every piece of gerty guinea and leave the burgess excel. i have tried leaving the food in their cage for a couple of days but they just eat round it! do you think i should stick with gerty guinea?
Cat

if they are eating all the gertie guinea and not leaving any i would carry on feeding them that, if they start picking out bits then i would feed them nuggets. :)

I'm really sorry about Currant:(

The point of changing food is sometime's guinea's are selective and don't eat all of it therefore not getting all the nutrient's available, mine are on wagg museli but alway's leave the seed's i am trying to get them on pellet's because it is better for them, mine don't like it either so i am trying different brand's.

oh I'm sorry about currant too.

yeah its definately a selective thing, if all the pigs are eating all the food i wouldnt bother changing.

:)

I am really sorry to hear you lost your piggy :(

Reggie my piggy has Burgess which he seems to like but I am trying Wagg next time his food runs out as he always seems to leave certain bits of it.
He does enjoy the Burgess blackcurrant nuggets though which are these....
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/burg...-food-with-blackcurrant-and-oregano-2kg-15688

Personally I would stick with what your piggies are enjoying instead. x

Last edited:
thanks guys. Currant was 2 and a half so it was a bit of a shock. i think i will stick with gerty guinea :)

aww thats a shame, i lost two in summer that were only a bit older, and my previous one was only just one when i lost him...it never gets any easier :0

I do exactly the same thing, mix Gerty with the XL selective nuggets. And mine usually leave the nuggets. They do eat 90% of the Gerty. They don't mind Wagg too much, although they prefer the Gerty. I've tried different nuggets, but mine like them to begin with, them leave them.
Fussy creatures! I'd stick with Gerty, although I've read on here it has artificial colours, put me off a bit, so I'm slowly trying different dried food, trying to find one they like which is also good for them!

All five of mine love Burgess Excel Blackcurrant and oregano:))

RIP Currant, so sorry for your loss:(

So sorry for your loss 8...

Piggies and their food is an awkward one isnt it. My boys thank god are wonderful they eat either pets at home nuggets or excel but they prefer p @ h ones they adore Burgess blackcurrant and oregano which they have along side nuggets.

My girls eat Wagg crunch and waste half of it, i have tried everything else with them and they scream at me to give them Wagg again. Now Squeak is due to move in with them in 4 weeks time and he is on Wagg optimum which is a nugget type and I'm worried when he moves in with them he will eat the Muesli type and ignore his nuggets. Hopefully the girls will copy him and change to nuggets but i doubt it very much. rolleyes

My piggies get nuggets as they are very fussy and leave lots of the museli.

thank you to everyone for comments. i thought it was just my piggies that were fussy! i get my gerty guinea in 15kg sacks from a local petshop as it works out cheaper than buying little bags all the time. i think i might try and get some of the burgess excel blackcurrant and mix that in with their food. is it a different colour to the other burgess one? i want to make sure that i can tell if they are eating it or not.

my boyfriend says that i should just leave the food in there and if they are hungry enough they will eat it. i did try this for a bit but i don't think it works beacuse they just look at you and start squeaking that they are hungry!

i am very fortunate that my piggies are in the front room for winter so i get to watch them all the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back