Burrowing under Fleece Bedding

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Over the last couple of days my 2 piggies have started burrowing under their fleece bedding and hiding underneath it. They did it last night and after I got them out from underneath it and put everything back they did it again straight away. I went into them this morning expecting to see them under the fleece again, but everything was normal in there. We have just gone into them again now, and they have once again buried themselves under the fleecing completely and will not come back out from it.
Is this normal behaviour? I am worried where the weather is so hot & humid they will get very hot underneath it all.
Does anyone have any advice on why they do this or any tips on how to stop them keep doing it?
They are both females and are 15 weeks old.
Thank you

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They do it because they can!
You can use clips to clip the fleece to the edge of the cage, or use hideys to weigh it down, but some piggies just enjoy doing if

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks so much......I will definitely buy some clips and attach it to the edge of the cage.
They do seem to be having fun while they are doing it & have found a new game to play! It is such a relief to know that it is normal behaviour.
Thank you again 😃 :luv:

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My girls did it when I first put them in the c&c So I had to tuck it in and clip it to the correx and grids. Then they started burrowing under the bath mats...even though they had hides. They’ve luckily stopped that, but I don’t trust them not to burrow under the fleece. So I’ll be clipping in future. It’s a pity as liners would make my life so much eas when it comes to cleaning them out.

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Peanut and Butter are also in a C&C, so will definitely clip the fleece onto the sides to stop them doing it.
This is the first time they have burrowed underneath the fleece and I thought I had lost them when I went into them last night........both were happy playing to see who could burrow along the furthest 🤣

Jessdaisymay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggies do exactly the same! Glad to hear it's not just mine! I've put toys/hideaways/bowls in the corners which has seemed to stop them...for now anyway!

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Such a relief when you hear other piggies do it lol 😆 We have found bulldog clips have worked wonders & has put a stop to the burrowing. We tried using food bowls and hides to stop it, but they just tipped them over! Fingers crossed we have found the answer! 🤞😀