• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Buttercup is limping, shes hurt her leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carly and co

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that Buttercup was limping slightly, but its got worse shes hobbling now and doesnt want too use it, shes holding it up.

Ive no idea what could be wrong, her claws were quite long and starting to curl so ive trimmed them, thought it may of been digging in, ive put some teatree cream for small animals on the bottom of her paw.

Shes still limping and not using it much, she lives on fleece and has only been out in the bedroom and hasnt been dropped or any accidents happened.

Any one any ideas?

Thanks
Carly

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked her elbow and shoulder joints? Guinea pig legs are much long than most people realise and start up at the spine!

If in doubt, see a vet. He will probably prescribe an anti-inflammatory/painkiller for the sprain.

Carly and co

Reaction score
Have you checked her elbow and shoulder joints? Guinea pig legs are much long than most people realise and start up at the spine!

If in doubt, see a vet. He will probably prescribe an anti-inflammatory/painkiller for the sprain.
what should i be checking for?
if no better ill take her to the vets on Monday.
Thankyou

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have a feel of her leg - starting with toes, foot pad, ankles, leg, and up to the shoulder. No need to put any pressure on the leg, just a gentle feel. If there is something urgently wrong, she will refuse to let you touch the leg, and/or she may cry out as you touch. Most of the time, this is just "one of those things" with no obvious problem and no obvious cause, and in many cases a slightly limp will pass on its own within a couple of days.

If no improvement by Monday, or if it worsens before then, then a vet check is in order, and pain relief/anti-inflammatories should be prescribed.

Carly and co

Reaction score
maybe she's got something small,like a tiny sharp bit of hay stuck somewhere in her paw x

Yeah i thought that, ive tried to have a look but its really awkward to look on the front paw, ill have a feel of her whole leg later when i clean her out and see if i can find any thing. x

Carly and co

Reaction score
awwww no advice but hope Buttercup ok x

She seems to be using it more today and not limping as much, she shot out of the bedding area when she heard the hay coming! ::)), I'm hoping its getting better now and she had just sprained or pulled it.

At least i got over my fear of nail cutting!

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Helloo just read this thread, hope she's feeling okay today and she continues to get better,and well done on the nail cutting, I still can't do it yet (I'm a scaredy cat!)

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i used to cut nails on my last two, but these two boys i have now seem too iccle to do!! yikes!

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad she seems to be doing a bit better, it can take a few days to completely get past the limp, but the fact that she is improving is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.