• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Buying A New Baby Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

waughy123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!

After doing some research I have decided to buy Percy a baby boar and attempt to bond him.

Has anyone got any tips on how I should bond them? I'm going to buy the least looking dominant one of all of the ones for sale, just to ensure a successful bond but as many of you may already know - it doesn't always work out.

Anyway... anyone done this before and got any tips. I've done male bonding before but I just want to make sure I do it 100% right this time.

Thank you,

waughy123

When I bonded my two, I cornered off a section of the room which gave them plenty of space (on neutral territory!) and added a big pile of hay and some veg scattered around. No hideys unless they are open ended so neither can get cornered by the other one - this is important.
The boar bonding threads on here have great info in them - I made sure I knew which behaviour to look out for incase I needed to separate - I also wanted to make sure I didn't separate too early or unnecessarily! Have a towel or something at the ready to use to break up any fights!
Good luck, I hope it goes well!

When I bonded my two, I cornered off a section of the room which gave them plenty of space (on neutral territory!) and added a big pile of hay and some veg scattered around. No hideys unless they are open ended so neither can get cornered by the other one - this is important.
The boar bonding threads on here have great info in them - I made sure I knew which behaviour to look out for incase I needed to separate - I also wanted to make sure I didn't separate too early or unnecessarily! Have a towel or something at the ready to use to break up any fights!
Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Thank you! How long did the process take until it was safe to place them in a cage together?

I put them side by side to begin with so they could interact through the bars for a few days before introducing them properly. The first introduction didn't go well and I separated them for a further two days, I then tried again (without holding out much hope!) but the second introduction went well :)
I left them in the run area for the whole day before putting them into a fresh cage - this length of time wasn't really necessary but I wanted to be sure especially as the first bonding failed! But generally it's a good indicator that they're going to be okay when they've both napped for the first time without bothering each other!

How old is Percy? I assume he is an adult? Adults often take well to babies but there can be no promises!
Time taken for them to look settled and accepting each other varies, so I think you have to use your own judgement with regards putting them both in the main cage, however if you feel unsure of how it's going and whether or not they are ready for that step then please ask people on the forum!
I have no experience in boar bonding, but just sharing a couple of things there that I hope will help. Those threads mentioned are definitely worth a read xx

@Critter 's right, there's definitely no promises! Shaun was a baby when I introduced him to Joey (who's an adult), and it wasn't plain sailing but I was prepared if they did end up not bonding. Have you got a back up plan if the new baby doesn't bond with Percy? :)

@Critter 's right, there's definitely no promises! Shaun was a baby when I introduced him to Joey (who's an adult), and it wasn't plain sailing but I was prepared if they did end up not bonding. Have you got a back up plan if the new baby doesn't bond with Percy? :)

I guess the only other way would be going piggie dating or getting him neutered and living with a female

How old is Percy? I assume he is an adult? Adults often take well to babies but there can be no promises!
Time taken for them to look settled and accepting each other varies, so I think you have to use your own judgement with regards putting them both in the main cage, however if you feel unsure of how it's going and whether or not they are ready for that step then please ask people on the forum!
I have no experience in boar bonding, but just sharing a couple of things there that I hope will help. Those threads mentioned are definitely worth a read xx

Percy is 10 months old so I'm hoping it all goes well

I guess the only other way would be going piggie dating or getting him neutered and living with a female

Is there anywhere near you that do boar dating? Might be the best option unless you have a spare cage etc if Percy and new piggie don't bond! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back