• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Buying Pigs From Pets At Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca.Barrett

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are well on our way to deciding that guinea pigs are the right pet for us and would be looking to get them from our local pets at home. What have peoples experience been with getting pigs from Pets at Home?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Hi everyone,

We are well on our way to deciding that guinea pigs are the right pet for us and would be looking to get them from our local pets at home. What have peoples experience been with getting pigs from Pets at Home?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Hi and welcome!

Good that you are looking around before buying!

The experiences with pets@home have been very varied; it depends very much on the quality of your local shop. Some of them are sadly not good at all, as a number of our members have found out the hard way! You will also find that any cages and hutches cost a lot more when shop bought. :(

Please be aware that any guinea pig bond relies on character compatibility, even more so with young boars. You will not get that in a pet shop or at a breeder's and will be at a much higher risk of fights and fall-outs because of that. Character matching takes time and experience, which is something that shops don't have and commercial/backyard breeders don't care about. Sows can come with a risk of being pregnant in case of mis-sexing and/or not gender separating early enough, but the same goes for any small pet.
It is a common misconception that guinea pigs (or other small pets) are by nature cuddly animals; guinea pigs are prey animals and are usually not used to being a pet when they are being sold.
Guinea pigs are cute babies for just a few weeks, hormonal teenagers for nearly a year and adults for 4-6 years of an average lifespan.

Please rather consider looking at one of our recommended rescues instead! We can guarantee for those that we have listed that you will get only totally healthy/quarantined, non-pregnant and carefully bonded piggies, As a new owner, you will only be matched up with guinea pigs that are used to being handled. You will also get support not just during the settling in period, but for the whole lifetime of their adopted piggies, so you won't be left dealing with piggies that don't get on at any point. It is really worth going a bit further and to a bit more effort for the sake of a smooth, headache-free ride with a good start - and not just for the sake of a good deed. You will be amazed just many beautiful guinea pigs end up in rescue; over half of the intake have started out their life in pets@home in some way or other, by the way... :(
Here is our good standard and safe to use rescue locator: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Our forum recommendations comply with or surpass the RSPCA minimum recommendations, so you shouldn't have any problems with any rescue requirements. We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care section, which you may find helpful in researching guinea pigs and guinea pig paraphernalia, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have.

You may find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/children-and-guinea-pigs-a-guide-for-parents.124784/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/getting-a-guinea-pig-items-youll-need-to-buy.112288/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/veterinary-fees-some-important-information.91847/

wiebke put it better than i would have regarding pets at home! i'd recommend rescue piggies definitely :)

I have just bought two from Pets at Home. I looked into rescuing pigs but there weren't any in my area. I'd much rather have rescued some, but I kinda felt like I rescued mine - they were the last two girls (believed to be sisters), and looked so cute snuggled together, I didn't want them to be separated. I had my girly C&C cage waiting for them, and I knew I'd love them lots :)

My first pigs were from Pets at Home and I never had any problems. This was however about 18 years ago! If I get more pigs in the future I will try the rescue route again first. Lets hope my pigs are girls, and neither are expecting any little babies!

We bought 2 piggies from Petsathome.

One had an eye injury from hay (hay was stuck down her eyelid on checkover before leaving the shop) , and they paid for about 3 months vets bills no questions asked until she was better.

I have had mainly a good experience, but it is all down to the individual branch.
The links produced a few posts above I'm sure will be useful!

I agree it's down to the individual store. I haven't had any bad experiences but some members have had horrible ones!

I'd always adopt rather than buy from P@H if possible. There are many adorable pairs of piggies looking for good homes all over the country. And the joy of a rescue is they know all about the piggies' health, their personalities etc and can offer ongoing support to you. Please consider offering a home to some piggies in rescue.

I've heard mixed reviews from Pets at Home, again I think it's down to the store. They do have their rescue area in store.

I have just rehomed two from a rescue centre. There's certainly a feel good factor of giving some 'oldies' a chance of a happy future.

I've bought a guinea pig from a reputable pet shop before, not that they knew anything about guinea pigs but they get them in rarely, I would never buy from P@H unless I was trying to save a animal, the rest of my piggies come from 2 different rescues here in Nottingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back