• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Buzz And His Poorly Leg :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz_N_Oreo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey,

I have two guinea pigs, Buzz & Oreo. Earlier today, after grass time, I noticed Buzz was limping and not putting any pressure on one of his back legs – this was the first ever time I have noticed this. Naturally, I am concerned. When I had him on my lap, I carefully tried to stretch out his other ‘three’ legs – this happened with ease and with no reaction from Buzz. Sadly, when I tried (with extra care) on ‘poorly’ leg, it did not bend with ease (so of course, I stopped and did not carry on) and buzz squeaked a little (which he did not do with the other legs). Therefore, and with deep regret, I am sure that something is up with poor Buzz! Although, on the plus side, he is still very much eating and running around (although, after a little research, I discovered that with poorly legs, it is best to let them rest, so I have put him back in his cage with Oreo).

This is my and my girlfriend’s first experience of owning guinea pigs so we are a little ‘lost at sea’ with what to do next! Should we take Buzz to the vets ASAP? Should we let the little guy rest for a few days and see if it improves?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, welcome to the forum, please could you update your location on your profile as it will help us to help you. It sounds like he may have sprained it but it is best to get him checked by a vet in case it is anything more serious. Also he is likely to need pain relief in the form of anti-inflammatories. In the UK, this would be a medication called Metacam.

Hey, many thanks for the reply and your advice. (Location also updated!)

Best to take him to the vets, one of ours hurt his leg last year, nothing serious but he needed metcam for a few days or so.

Thank you for the update. In which case your vet is likely to give Metacam if there is an injury. Have a look on our recommended vets locator if you don't have one that you already use.

Looking good... x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back