• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C and c cage size

Iggleandpiggle959

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone knew if two male piggies are okay in a 2x3 c and c as I think that is their current cage size which I think I need to upgrade. If it is not appropriate what would a good size be. Thank you :)

Our cage size guide is here:
Cage Size Guide

Sadly a 2 x 3 for 2 boars is nowhere near big enough.
The absolute bare minimum would be 2 x 4, but really to give their relationship every chance of success you should be considering at least a 2 x 5.

Hello thank you so much for your help. It isn’t actually a c and c but I think it is the same size as a 2x3 it is a 5 storey wardrobe cage but they are only on the bottom level which is about that size. Thank you for the size reccomendation I am looking at something much bigger. My only thought is they have a quite big run which my family are saying they may be fine as they spend most their time in the run but We wanted to check on here what we should do. Is this the same if we have the run (photo attached)? :)

Attachments

• 9E728825-C61F-43CC-91A5-A50F3B56EEB6.jpeg
    9E728825-C61F-43CC-91A5-A50F3B56EEB6.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 18
really they need to have the full amount of space all the time so they can get away from each other if they need to. my boys have a 3x4 C&C with a 1x3 loft, they've been in smaller cages in the past but you really do see the best of them when you give them a lot of space I would definitely give them more if I could. the best way to think about it is not 'what is the minimum they need' but rather 'what is the most space I can possibly give them'. we all love to spoil our piggy's and extra space really is the best gift you can give.

Hello thank you very much for replying I will definitely try and get them more I really wanted to I just had to get some advice to show my family why I wanted to do this and make sure I was giving them the most space with a new cage like I have done with past pets. Thank you so much again :)

Their run may be nice and big but they need the space they spend nighttime in to be the minimum recommended nonetheless. And they won’t be able to spend much time in the run (outside) soon. A 2x5 is around 180x71 cm, or 12sq feet.

Space is paramount especially now because one is at the start of the teenage months and the other is just out. Boars are more territorial and need more space regardless of age. And two of everything.

That’s a lovely big run. Lucky pigs! But I agree about a nice big cage. Do post pics of your setup once you’ve got their new home all sorted. I do love a piggie house tour! 🙂

thank you the cage has a bit where they can stay away from each other and has a lot of space. I have seen my dominant pig taking some of his food and rumble strutting so I will try and keep things monitored. I have done my best to make sure they have two of everything. Thank you for all of your help:)

thank you I have seen how happy they are in the run with the space in there and I want them to have that kind of space all the time so will definitely be upgrading and will definitely post pictures on here :)

Definitely do get them a bigger cage. As the others have said a 2x3 is nowhere near big enough

When you do get them a bigger cage, you need to be careful about moving them over to it. Any change in environment can set off dominance and given your youngest is just coming into his teens, then he is going to be getting hormonal anyway.
When you put them in their new cage, you will need to use soiled bedding from their old cage so that the new cage will smell like them and they will recognise it as their territory.

thank you I will definitely be doing that with the new cage and monitor them to make sure as I do see my older pig humping my teenage pig as what I think is dominance, stealing his food and rumble strutting. But in the time before the cage they can be separated at night and go together in the run because of the levels if it is needed. Thank you again

thank you I will definitely be doing that with the new cage and monitor them to make sure as I do see my older pig humping my teenage pig as what I think is dominance, stealing his food and rumble strutting. But in the time before the cage they can be separated at night and go together in the run because of the levels if it is needed. Thank you again

Rumbling, stealing food, mounting is all entirely normal. There is absolutely no need for you to separate them. You only separate boars if there is a full on fights and their relationship is over.
Piggies cannot be separated for night times and then put together during the day - that isn’t how their relationships function and doing so will cause them huge stress and could ruin their bond.
Piggies need to either be permanently together or permanently apart if their bond is broken. But for information, even if their bond was broken, they could not live in one level each as piggies who are separated need to be side by side to enable social interaction through the bars. One living up and one living down will not allow interaction and will result in loneliness.

okay thank you I will definitely not desperate them. When I got them I didn’t really know about what the different genders needed but after knowing they need different I will do more research on YouTube :)

okay thank you I will definitely not desperate them. When I got them I didn’t really know about what the different genders needed but after knowing they need different I will do more research on YouTube :)

You can find all the information you need on this site!

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Cage Size Guide
Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Last edited:
The green links I’ve added will take you to the relevant guides on boar specific behaviour - there are many more though if you look through the forum sections

Back