• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C And C, Vetbed, Fleece, Back 2 Nature Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
1. When we move in March / April we are going to get a 2x4 c and c with a 1 x 2 loft for 2 sows. Will they use the ramp and the top half?
Are the hay racks and tunnels good from the c and c website?

2. When we move house should we put the mini pigs in boarding? How do we get them used to the outside to inside change?

3. Are pets @ home litter trays good? What size would I need? Is back 2 nature a good litter? Are there any good litters?

4. What's so special about fleece and vetbed? I had fleece for less than a day and a total nightmare : fur, hay, and piggy poo stuck to fleece! Also fleece bagan to smell possibly with piggy wee! What's the best fleece or vetbed. I also felt like I was constantly spot cleaning every 2 seconds! My Mum says she doesn 't want piggy hair, wee ... in her washing machine but my Dad agrees to a horse blanket thing or a pillow case. What can I do to persuade my Mum?

5. What do you guys put in your cages? Where did you buy them from and what was the price?

Many thanks,:)

Aaargh- so many questions !

answer 1 - you will love getting a C&C . It may take a while for you guineas to get used to the ramp so don't be disappointed if they don't use it straight away .

answer 2 - I would only put your guinea pigs in boarding if you can find somewhere that you are happy with. I have found a place local to me and my guinea pigs go into boarding whenever I go away. So, if I were to move house, I would put my guinea pigs in boarding.

answer 3 - don't expect your guinea pigs to use litter trays as toilets. I use the corner litter trays - that is the place I put their hay in. I put aubiose in the bottom. The only reason I keep using them is that my guinea seem to enjoy hopping in an out of them - so , they're for enrichment.

answers1 , 4 and 5 - I love fleece but I have stopped using it in all of my cage because of the amount of laundry it creates. You don't need to buy many accessories from the C&C site . I don't use hay racks at all nowadays because of all the warnings about safety.

I have tunnels and cosies made out of material . I use a horse-wear washbag to wash these and any fleeces I have used. You have to brush off as much loose hair , hay and bedding as possible before putting these items in the wash bag. I think the way you can convince your Mum is by asking her to let you have a month's trial and make sure you keep everything clean and tidy during this month's trial.

Did you even wash the fleece or vetbed three times at least?
Pig poo never gets stuck to mine. And hay isn't really something to worry about. You can aways pull it off if you don't like it stuck to it. Fleece should be washed every three or four days. Mine never smells. What absorbent layer do you use?

You will get some hay and pig hairs in your machine whether you like it or not. It is worth investing in a horse bag because all the muck is kept contained.

Did you even wash the fleece or vetbed three times at least?
Pig poo never gets stuck to mine. And hay isn't really something to worry about. You can aways pull it off if you don't like it stuck to it. Fleece should be washed every three or four days. Mine never smells. What absorbent layer do you use?

You will get some hay and pig hairs in your machine whether you like it or not. It is worth investing in a horse bag because all the muck is kept contained.
I put newspaper under but I never thought of washing it 3 times before use.:oops::oops:

I put newspaper under but I never thought of washing it 3 times before use.:oops::oops:
You need towels or puppy pads under it! Newspaper is not enough at all. No wonder it is wet. You NEED to wash it at least three times before. Your pigs could become ill being on wet wee bedding.

The fleece you would be looking for is called anti pill fleece, or invest in a slightly more expensive anti pill micro fleece. These can be found in stores like Primark, eBay, the range, asda.

Fleece needs to be changed every three to four days, without a fabric softener, but with non bio detergent and white vinegar at 60 degrees. Before first use you have to wash the fleece without any detergent at least three times to allow it to remove the water barrier. You can check this has been done successfully if a drop of water on the fleece sinks though, not stays on the top. If it stays, you need to wash it again.

Fleece also needs an absorbent layer underneath to hold the urine. This can be towels, which I find great. Or puppy pads. You can also buy cage liners which are fleece, but built in absorbent layer. You can buy these from:
http://ziggyspiggies.webs.com

Fleece needs to be spot cleaned (remove poop) at least once a day.

To avoid clogging up washing machine you will need to brush down the fleece and shake it to remove loose hay and hairs. And optional would be to have a horse wash bag, found on amazon, which allows fleece to be washed well, but all hay and hairs keep contained in the bag.

You need towels or puppy pads under it! Newspaper is not enough at all. No wonder it is wet. You NEED to wash it at least three times before. Your pigs could become ill being on wet wee bedding.

The fleece you would be looking for is called anti pill fleece, or invest in a slightly more expensive anti pill micro fleece. These can be found in stores like Primark, eBay, the range, asda.

Fleece needs to be changed every three to four days, without a fabric softener, but with non bio detergent and white vinegar at 60 degrees. Before first use you have to wash the fleece without any detergent at least three times to allow it to remove the water barrier. You can check this has been done successfully if a drop of water on the fleece sinks though, not stays on the top. If it stays, you need to wash it again.

Fleece also needs an absorbent layer underneath to hold the urine. This can be towels, which I find great. Or puppy pads. You can also buy cage liners which are fleece, but built in absorbent layer. You can buy these from:
http://ziggyspiggies.webs.com

Fleece needs to be spot cleaned (remove poop) at least once a day.

To avoid clogging up washing machine you will need to brush down the fleece and shake it to remove loose hay and hairs. And optional would be to have a horse wash bag, found on amazon, which allows fleece to be washed well, but all hay and hairs keep contained in the bag.
Sorry, gosh I didn't research and I didn't realise how much care and atention fleece needed. :(:(:(

quite a few forum members (me included) have stopped using newspaper under bedding because it makes a soggy mess. Most of the time , I use Fitch or Aubiose and find that spot cleaning is much easier without a newspaper base.

as ChiefGuinea pig has posted - if you use fleece, it needs some sort of absorbent layer.

are you thinking of buying some cage liners @Maisy and Poppy ?

quite a few forum members (me included) have stopped using newspaper under bedding because it makes a soggy mess. Most of the time , I use Fitch or Aubiose and find that spot cleaning is much easier without a newspaper base.

as ChiefGuinea pig has posted - if you use fleece, it needs some sort of absorbent layer.

are you thinking of buying some cage liners @Maisy and Poppy ?
Maybe cage liners, what's rather difference between cage liners, fleece and vetbed?

I think fleece and bet bed are more or less the same as they boy need an absorbent layer under them. Cage liners have the absorbent layer built in I think. In sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along soon to provide better answers.

Maybe cage liners, what's rather difference between cage liners, fleece and vetbed?

Cage liners are made to measure and consist of an outer layer of fleece and an absorbant interior.

Fleece is material . I think vetbed is material too. You can either make your own cage liners from fleece or vetbed of simply put it in the cage on top of an absorbant layer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back