• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C&c Cage With Other Bedding Than Fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, just made first C&C cage and am continuing to use shavings and hay for now. Thing is, every pic I see of a C&C cage has fleece in it, does anybody use anything in their C&C other than fleece? Have been advised of dangers of shavings (tho I have to say those I get are not dusty at all) but haven't yet sourced any aubiose. Not sure I can face the idea of washing fleece and towels in winter, is a hard enough job getting our clothes dry!

I have used C&C without fleece, there is no problem with using it without fleece at all. Fleece is just a preference for a lot of members but it doesn't matter what you use with C&C, it just depends on what you like and what works for you and the piggies.

I have used C&C without fleece, there is no problem with using it without fleece at all. Fleece is just a preference for a lot of members but it doesn't matter what you use with C&C, it just depends on what you like and what works for you and the piggies.
Can I ask what you've used? My natural urge is to tidy up the cage and have separate areas for bed, hay, food etc but then I wonder... Is this replicating their natural habitat? I think ours like to wander about munching hay wherever they go, as well as have a fresh pile at the end to dive into twice a day. Also I wonder if moving things about a little each day prevents boredom. Re bedding it seems like an awful lot of shavings and hay to clean out compared to a 1.2 cage! Lol

I have used Aubiose with it which was fine, and 'back to nature' bedding from pets at home which is paper based pellet.

My girls c&c is half fleece and half megazorb & hay. The megazorb is in their bedding area which is where they pee & poop the most. The fleece tends to be used for play area & food bowls although harry has discovered fleece is warmer and I have found her asleep in a fleece I gave them for burrowing. Only problem with this set up is the megazorb gets dragged into the fleece but it's easily brushed off

I used Aubiose and hay in a rack and on the floor, I think a variety or bedding untidiness! helps their natural foraging behaviour. :)

I use both, I have the main section of the cage layered with newspaper, absorbent bedding and tonnes of hay and then I have a section for fleece beds etc away from the hay. I tried all fleece and although my piggies do like it they really love mounds of hay to hide under too. As I work shifts its easier for me to use mostly hay to ensure they have a constant supply at all times and its super easy to clean out as well. I buy big bags of meadow hay. I don't have a tumble dryer and clothes dry slowly for me too so as much as I love my fleece beds I don't tend to bother with cage liners for myself even though I make them for others :) oh yes and I do like to encourage foraging behaviour for them which the hay provides too as I scatter their treats amongst it

I have a C&C cage, i used newspaper then shavings on top, i also have a cat/dog carrier filled with hay. I have nevr had any bad experiences with shavings and having tried fleece and other different beddings, i always revert back to shavings.

Thank you. Our piggies are young but getting on fine with shavings covered with hay so far, but started to feel like an outcast as nobody else uses them.! When I filled the new bigger C&C need last night I was chucking it in quickly and there was not the slightest sign of dust (also found similar with bedmax but did find large chunks in that sometimes) neither does it seem to affect them any other way at present. So I will keep on for a while as I can't source auboise nearby (or afford delivery!)

I use fleece for the main bit, but have a big hay tray in the loft and the mini hutch attached is filled with hay.

I use fleece in my C&C and underneath the fleece I use wood pellets. I just love it. I no longer smell the urine anymore from 5 piggies.

I use fleece in my C&C and underneath the fleece I use wood pellets. I just love it. I no longer smell the urine anymore from 5 piggies.
Now that's a new one to me , what are the wood pellets called? Do they not get stuck all over the fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back