C&C cages

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Had a good look through this thread, some fab c&c set ups! I’m new to all this. Looking to order some grids from Amazon. Just wondered generally what people use for bases? My boys were in a cage together until recently so that had a base. Have had to move some stuff around as don’t have a lot of space where they currently are (we have enough space currently for 2x4) and hubby doesn’t want them in the living room, which is fair enough as we also have a 3yo whose stuff takes up a lot of space! In the cage I layered with cardboard and had sawdust on top. I’m considering using the fleece liners but concerned that might involve a lot of washing as they wee pretty much throughout the cage, although I’ve noticed they’ve peed more in specific places.

Also, I’ll need to put a grid down the middle so the boys are kept apart. Is this relatively easy enough to do? I’ve been doing a lot of research but it’s pretty overwhelming when you’re new to owning piggies. Thanks.
M

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
In terms of size, singles really need 2x4 at minimum. A split 2x4 (2x2) is not enough space for them each. It’s easy to split the cage, just cable tie some grids in the middle with connectors for added stability. Is there anywhere else you could keep them that has more room? Could you perhaps jig things round so your child’s things are where the cage currently is?

As for the base, you can buy 4mm correx on eBay or in sign shops. Or you can buy proplex from wickes. It’s 2mm but I have that in my boys’ cage. It’s been in there about 2 years or so and is still okay if a little chewed in some places.

When you say sawdust do you mean woodshavings? Bedding depends on what works for you. I started with shavings, then fleece. Didn’t get on with it so went back to shavings again. Then aubiose which I absolutely loved, but reacted to. Then back to fleece which I use now as well as bath maths.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: You can’t split a 2x4 in half - each half would be too small.

You can put down plastic sheeting, an old plastic or oilcloth tablecloth, shower curtain and then your choice of bedding on top. But without something up the sides of the grids, then any disposable bedding is going to come out. Fleece is a good option for a correx-less cage as there’s nothing to spill out the sides.

Fleece will need changing every few days, you might get away with once a week if you use pee pads in high traffic areas as you can then just change out pee pads every couple of days.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
In terms of size, singles really need 2x4 at minimum. A split 2x4 (2x2) is not enough space for them each. It’s easy to split the cage, just cable tie some grids in the middle with connectors for added stability. Is there anywhere else you could keep them that has more room? Could you perhaps jig things round so your child’s things are where the cage currently is?

As for the base, you can buy 4mm correx on eBay or in sign shops. Or you can buy proplex from wickes. It’s 2mm but I have that in my boys’ cage. It’s been in there about 2 years or so and is still okay if a little chewed in some places.

When you say sawdust do you mean woodshavings? Bedding depends on what works for you. I started with shavings, then fleece. Didn’t get on with it so went back to shavings again. Then aubiose which I absolutely loved, but reacted to. Then back to fleece which I use now as well as bath maths.
Thanks for moving my comment into a new thread, still working out navigating the site.
M

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello it is a bit overwhelming ! I use fleece with extra ‘pee pads ‘ that I change ever one to two days - I try to not change them all every day so that they can still ‘ smell ‘their home. I made my fleece pads with a cheap fleece throw / matteress proctector ( not the plastic type) and fabric underneath. ( you have to wash the fleece a few times so it ‘ wicks ‘ any pee. This works really well and all I ever smell is the fresh hay ! Good luck and you will find out what’s best for you 😀

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello it is a bit overwhelming ! I use fleece with extra ‘pee pads ‘ that I change ever one to two days - I try to not change them all every day so that they can still ‘ smell ‘their home. I made my fleece pads with a cheap fleece throw / matteress proctector ( not the plastic type) and fabric underneath. ( you have to wash the fleece a few times so it ‘ wicks ‘ any pee. This works really well and all I ever smell is the fresh hay ! Good luck and you will find out what’s best for you 😀
Thanks so much for your kind response. It can be totally overwhelming when you’re new to all of this. I just want to do the best thing for my boys (hence all of the billions of questions I’m asking 😂 Although would rather that than be someone who doesn’t care for them properly, which isn’t me!)

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I get really get that Mye_B I was just the same ! I worried about everything ......! But things settled down and I found weighing my boys every week with a little health check was very reassuring. So.....you do become more relaxed and can really enjoy these wonderful little creatures. It’s a great adventure for you and them 🥰

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Carry on asking billions of questions - we’re all learning.
It’s much better to ask questions than not bother - it shows what a caring owner you are.
Your piggies are very lucky.

I may have missed it but what happened with your boys that they are separated?

I have 3 piggies in a C&C cage with wood shavings as the base.
I tried fleece but couldn’t cope with the laundry.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Just found your other thread about your boys falling out.
Sorry you’ve had to deal with that situation

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Carry on asking billions of questions - we’re all learning.
It’s much better to ask questions than not bother - it shows what a caring owner you are.
Your piggies are very lucky.

I may have missed it but what happened with your boys that they are separated?

I have 3 piggies in a C&C cage with wood shavings as the base.
I tried fleece but couldn’t cope with the laundry.
Thanks so much 😊 That’s really kind of you to say. I just want to do the best for them.

I see you’ve commented about my other thread. So gutted that I had to split them up but they seem calmer now.

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I get really get that Mye_B I was just the same ! I worried about everything ......! But things settled down and I found weighing my boys every week with a little health check was very reassuring. So.....you do become more relaxed and can really enjoy these wonderful little creatures. It’s a great adventure for you and them 🥰
Good to know, Roselina. Thank you! ☺ I’m glad you’re enjoying your boys 😊