• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C&C help!

Chloe.123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
(Be patient, this might be a long one!) I am seriously considering buying/building a c&c cage for my girls after falling in love with the cages I have seen on here. It would mean moving them from the outside hutch inside. Will they be ok with the move?
Where does everyone buy fleece? Also I’ve read a lot about cage liners.. what are they? (Sorry if that’s a stupid question :doh:)
What does everyone put under the fleece for the wee? And how often do you clean and change the fleece?
My partner has also asked me if they will smell bad, does anyone find this?
Sorry for the long post... can someone make a c&c cage book for dummies?! :)):help:
I know this post had already been done but I can’t find all of the info in one place.
Thanks 🙂

This time of year they will be fine with the move, my piggys are going in and out every day at the moment.
I use vet bed - bought on ebay.
Liners are two layers of fleece with an absorbant layer in the middle. Underneath you can use, old towels, puppy pads or newspaper, everyone has their preferences.
In the summer when the boys spend time outside I change the fleece weekly, in the winter it needs changing twice a week.
I don't find mine smell. Occasionally you get a fresh poop pong if they've had cabbage! I poop pick twice daily in the winter, once in the summer if they have been out during the day.
You can buy fleece liners on ebay or direct from makers like Ziggies Piggies, (other people will come up with other sellers I am sure).

I second liners from Ziggy's piggies, all mine are from there and they are fab!

Yep, I am just getting some liners for my new c&c from Ziggy's piggies, having bought cosies and tunnels there before. She is very friendly and helpful and prices v reasonable - £90 for two 5*3 liners and £13 for a cosy set (£16 if you just buy a cosy set as postage is included in the prices shown online.). The liners are lined with Zorb (?) or something similar to deal with the wee so you don't really need anything else underneath to do that I believe.

I use fleece for my piggos and it doesn't smell. However, it does need washing regularly, so I have three sets of liners so I don't have to immediately wash one in anticipation of the other needing changing two days later.

Also, I'd advise checking what the maximum weight your washing machine can take if you're going to use fleece. A 2x3 liner gets very heavy when wet. My old machine had a 4kg max. weight and it couldn't handle it! My new one is 9kg and it's fine. :)

I don't use anything under my liners (I got mine from Ziggy's Piggies too) and have no problems. Flutterby advised me to put bathmats or towels in the places they urinate the most, so the main liner won't need washing as often. :) Hope that helps!

Thanks for all of the replies. I was looking at Ziggy’s piggies yesterday for liners so I’ll have another look today for the liners. Do I have to have liners or can I just use fleece with something on the bottom? Sorry for all of he questions just trying to get as much info as possible before I fully commit to moving them inside ☺️

My other half is fussy with washing the fleece, do you just pop it in the machine or would you advise using a wash bag? (I think that’s what they’re called)

I use cheap fleeces from b&m only because my cage is nearly 24 square feet. Supplmented with a layer of towels and 2 layers of puppy pads.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was looking at Ziggy’s piggies yesterday for liners so I’ll have another look today for the liners. Do I have to have liners or can I just use fleece with something on the bottom? Sorry for all of he questions just trying to get as much info as possible before I fully commit to moving them inside ☺️

My other half is fussy with washing the fleece, do you just pop it in the machine or would you advise using a wash bag? (I think that’s what they’re called)

I use old pillow cases tied off at the top with string.

Ziggy's Piggies will provide you with washing instructions with the fleece. :) Basically, just don't use fabric conditioner as it waterproofs the fleece, meaning it won't absorb and wick away the urine. I'd advise using some sort of bag to wash them in to avoid hair, hay, etc. clogging the machine. Apart from that, there's no special treatment!

I've sown my own with fleece and a matress pad. I've also bought from PiggyBedspreads once and they have excelent products. All of which I washed with white vinegar to encourage wicking and hung to try. After 2 washes they were ready.

I have been thinking about doing my own. Are they difficult to make? (I’m not the best at sewing 😂) I’ll have a look at PiggyBedspreads

I use mattress protectors, the top of them has to be 100% cotton for absorbency. Pee pads for the high Wee areas.
The only thing with vet bed it is expensive & some people have said it's bulky for the machine. You must use non-bio washing powder, & no fabric softener.

Not difficult if you can measure correctly and sew in a straight(ish) line. I'd recommend making it a few inches bigger than your cage though. The materials shrink sometimes in the first washes

Thank you all for your advice. I ordered the cage yesterday evening :yahoo: I feel so weird getting excited about it!

I’ve found a problem already. The space I had planned for the cage isn’t big enough 😭 I had wanted a 2x5 but the space is only big enough for a 3x2. Soo I was going to make an L shape? 3x2 on one side and 3x2 the other side with a 2x2 loft. Will this be enough space for them? It’s for 2 girls.

My two sows live in a 2x3 stacked cage connected by a 1x2 loft. For two girls, the main ground space of 2x3 is the minimum requirement, so you're fine. :)

That will be plenty for two sows! I'm sure they'll love it! My sows live in a 2 story 2x4 and they love the room. You're cage will be perfect for your little piggies

Back