C & C Ikea Cage. Work in Progress.

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Busy afternoon! Obviously a temporary mock up of how the final unit will be. Will use white grids when they come. Black will be the outdoor run. Will be fixed to the unit with drilled holes and cable ties. Need to source Correx and ramps and more fleece mats.

Feedback/advice warmly welcomed20200721_155306.jpg20200721_155322.jpg

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looks great! Your piggies will definitely love it! :)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Lovely!
However, as you are getting boars, i ought to mention that the best size for two boars is a 2x5 cage. A 2x4 could be pushing it, particularly once they hit their teens. You may find yours are ok with a 2x4 but I know mine weren’t (it was too small for them). You’ll have to see how it goes but do be aware that changing up the cage size after they living in it constitutes a change in territory and could cause more problems than it solves - so best to get issues dealt with before they arise. Also, using enclosed hideys for boars is advised against as it can mean a piggy can be cornered, two exit hideys are best. You just don’t want to cause any pinch points in a cage when you are dealing with boys.

I personally would be very hesitant to use c&c grids as an outside run unless you are going to sit next to the run for the entire time the piggies are out there (and given youngsters can sometimes fit through the grids - I know it’s a while before you are getting yours so they may be big enough to be ok by then) - you would ideally use a wood and fine gauge wire mesh run with a lid for outdoors for safety and security.

Last edited:

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new family additions,I definitely agree with piggie&buns. Your set up looks great but it would be better if you could make it bigger. Maybe get some log tunnels which have an opening each side. I’ve four boys in two pairs and they do squabble at times. Escape routes are great when they are chasing each other 😁

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Lovely!
However, as you are getting boars, i ought to mention that the best size for two boars is a 2x5 cage. A 2x4 could be pushing it, particularly once they hit their teens. You may find yours are ok with a 2x4 but I know mine weren’t (it was too small for them). You’ll have to see how it goes but do be aware that changing up the cage size after they living in it constitutes a change in territory and could cause more problems than it solves - so best to get issues dealt with before they arise. Also, using enclosed hideys for boars is advised against as it can mean a piggy can be cornered, two exit hideys are best. You just don’t want to cause any pinch points in a cage when you are dealing with boys.

I personally would be very hesitant to use c&c grids as an outside run unless you are going to sit next to the run for the entire time the piggies are out there (and given youngsters can sometimes fit through the grids - I know it’s a while before you are getting yours so they may be big enough to be ok by then) - you would ideally use a wood and fine gauge wire mesh run with a lid for outdoors for safety and security.
I'll change the hides. I can extend the cage pretty easily so I'll give it a go.

The outdoor run will have the garden fence on one long edge and wood edging that is 9 inch tall on three other sides. The C & C will be used to make it easily stored over winter in the limited storage space i have and provide a roof.

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Had a play. Does this look OK? Grids will be fixed to the base and correx cut to size to form a base so pigs won't be standing on the grids but it fits in the space.

What do you lot think?20200721_233740.jpg20200721_233752.jpg

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If you wanted a firmer base you can buy a length of MDF from somewhere like B&Q extend over the top of your cupboard. They will cut it to your size. I did this to make a longer space where I had a gap between two surfaces. I’m sure the grids will hold though.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Looks great... mine is 7x2 c&c... we got rid of the loft to extend... ours is fixed to a piece of ply board or MDF....

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
The second one looks fab. When I had C&C I remember starting with lofts but there were more hassle than anything, one level are brill and it's a lovely space for a pair of boars :)

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This is ever evolving! Had a rethink. Placing on other wall would allow for roughly a 1/3 of a grid extension and a cage of approximately 15.4 sq ft of floor space. It's going to be a palace for two princes!20200723_180854.jpg20200723_180821.jpg