• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C & C Loft question

gingy pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, I'm on the verge of going ahead and building a c & c for my 4 girls to live in the shed-can i ask if i build a loft, what supports the grids? its going to be 2 grids wide-does it need a support bar or something running underneath it or am i missing something! I bought the grids off amazon and am yet to get correx.

A 1x2 loft probably won’t need support but a 2x2 loft will often require a bar (metal/piece of wood) which sits underneath the loft area to support it

You can get metal support bars from places that sell the grids, I got mine on ebay. I didn't use them to start with but found my lofts a bit springy and noisy as as a couple of my young piggies are very energetic and jump around. Some people use a wooden batton underneath.

Our 2x1 loft doesn't require any additional support (just the grids). Although I would definitely fasten the grids together with tie wraps. Our 2x2 loft has metal support bars which we bought with the loft.

thanks, i just couldn't work out how they stay up with porky pigs bouncing around on them!. will have a fiddle around when i build it .

thanks, i just couldn't work out how they stay up with porky pigs bouncing around on them!. will have a fiddle around when i build it .
My 2x2 loft survives the weight of my two large ladies (both a little over 1.3kg). It has grids plus one support bar.
Hope your cage building goes well.
Post a picture when you have done it.

my hubby made a frame out of wood for my loft, as the first one collapsed, so with the frame up and tied on with cable ties it is now rock solid.

Back