• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cable Ties Vs Connectors And C&c Stability

StarSapphire22

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My C&C grids are out for delivery! :yahoo:

We're going to be assembling them tonight. Our plan for now is a single level 2x4 with lid + stand.

I really hate the connectors aesthetically speaking, but my biggest concern is my naughty kitties attempting to chew them/pop them off...the buttons on our couch cushions didn't fare so well, and they are determined little poopyheads sometimes. :doh: Regardless, we'll be reinforcing with zip ties, but is it possible to build it entirely with zip ties or do I need the connectors to give it structure - especially on the stand part? Are there pros/cons to using either?

Also, I'd really like the ability to open the cage portion from the top and front. Would hinging both of those cause any structural instability? And lastly, if their behavior with our turtle tank is any indicator, the cats will lay on the top to watch things moving below. Will these grids hold that weight or should I reinforce the lid somehow?

Yay! Exciting :)

Connectors do add a lot of stability and the two are used hand in hand. You'd definitely need them for the lid or would be bending everywhere with cable ties only...

The cats on top would not be a good idea at all and paws could reach through..... I don't think the piggies would feel very secure with that happening, could you keep the cats out of their room?

Yay! Exciting :)

Connectors do add a lot of stability and the two are used hand in hand. You'd definitely need them for the lid or would be bending everywhere with cable ties only...

The cats on top would not be a good idea at all and paws could reach through..... I don't think the piggies would feel very secure with that happening, could you keep the cats out of their room?

No, our apartment is teeeeeeny tiny, the only space we have is in the hall. I'm thinking I'll double layer the lid to make the holes smaller...but surprisingly he actually likes the cats. They sniff noses through his current cage and they all watch him eat and try to steal his veggies and he just goes about his business. As long as they don't boop him, he hasn't cared at all or seems more curious than anything.

I'm using the midwest cage currently, and the biggest issue (outside of overall flimsiness) is that the holes are rectangular...so kitties can not only fit their arms through but maneuver them up and down and around. I'm hoping that with square holes, even if they manage to get paws through, they won't really be able to do anything with them since there's no wiggle room. They also dont have 10+ inch arms, so cant reach down to touch the piggies.

The first time I built a C&C cage I nearly burst into flames a few times from sheer anger and frustration with the connectors flying or popping back off before I could cable tie them.

Sport_billy is right that it's more flimsy without but if you're happy to use tons of cable ties it'll be fine. I had a lid that I didn't use connectors on either. I reinforced it with a few thin pieces of wood. And I reinforced the sides with wood too.

It wasn't going to win any awards for prettiest cage but then my current one which does have the connectors is still a bit wonky.

I've just built my first C&C and I didn't bother with the connectors. I used cable ties only and mine has ended up very sturdy. I even have a loft area.

I have lids as I also have cats but they are only ever in the room if I am so it's more a deterrent than a surface I want them to go on. The lids are fine as I'm using bulldog clips to secure them when it's down :)

WP_20170804_19_21_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20170804_19_21_41_Pro.jpg

Back