Cage biter

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So after making the heartbreaking decision to separate my 2 boys due to blood being drawn and injuries occurring even during a reintroductions i now face another problem 🤦‍♀️Alf my youngest is a constant cage biter and i don't just mean nibbling at the bars every now and then i mean full on rattling the cage doors to the point of i think he may eventually pull one off. This is done daily and through a good portion of the day/night apart from when he's eating.
The cages are next to each other and i have tried everything...plenty chew toys,plenty of room and floor time,plenty of attention,loads of hay and i even have tried covering the cage from the inside with a fleece but he manages pull it off. Eric the one who had the injuries is absolutely fine and doesn't make a peep and seems so much happier on his own but Alf seems to be missing Eric (even though they talk through the bars) and when it's his floor time he spends half of it trying to get in and biting Eric's cage.
I'm at a total loss and really really don't want to have to move them into another room due to i love being with them and also lack of space in our home. Please can anyone help because I'm also worried he could hurt his teeth and mouth due to all the biting.
Thank you everyone.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You’ll have to find a more ‘semi-permanent’ way to cover the cage facing Eric’s for now. That behaviour isn’t quite because he’s missing him. Perhaps if you can get some correx (proplex) and cable tie it to the side that could work. Are you able to put him elsewhere for floor time, away from Eric’s cage?

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You’ll have to find a more ‘semi-permanent’ way to cover the cage facing Eric’s for now. That behaviour isn’t quite because he’s missing him. Perhaps if you can get some correx (proplex) and cable tie it to the side that could work. Are you able to put him elsewhere for floor time, away from Eric’s cage?
Thank you for your reply but no i don't have anywhere at the minute and that's the problem. I spent a small fortune on a outside run and hutch for them both but now I've had to seperate them (about 3 weeks ago) i can't even use it. I don't want one inside and one outside either because feel mean on the one that's put outside 😢. Would maybe cardboard work for the time being if i clip tie it to his cage or would that be too much because he can't see through it?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes cardboard can also work. He should hopefully calm down eventually.