• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage biting (again)

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay so i thought i had mastered the cage biting by moving their cages so they could no longer see each other but could still smell and ear each other. How wrong i was 😭😭🤦‍♀️ he started again about 2 days ago and has been at it again all morning,day and night. I have tried everything and even rushed to my pet store to buy some bitter apple but nope,he seems to even like that.
Someone please help because i really really don't want to have to move him into another room. There must be something that stops it 🤷‍♀️🤞🤞

Could he perhaps be bored? Have you looked at the enrichment thread and see if any of the suggestions could help? Also, when he does it and you’re there, what do you do? Do you ‘give him attention’?I think if he’s at it again I would keep them next to each other - it doesn’t seem to be the cause of his cage biting.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Could he perhaps be bored? Have you looked at the enrichment thread and see if any of the suggestions could help? Also, when he does it and you’re there, what do you do? Do you ‘give him attention’?I think if he’s at it again I would keep them next to each other - it doesn’t seem to be the cause of his cage biting.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
If he is bored i honestly don't know how 🤔 He has 3 hours of free roaming in my room (it's very big and it's piggy safe) he has a hour before work,a hour in the afternoon when i get home and a hour before bed to try and tire him out (about 8ish). I always get down on floor with him and get out his floor time toys and he jumps all over me (he's not a shy boy unless it comes to picking him up) and we always have that much fun and interaction that he sometimes gets in his floor time hidey and nods off for a bit 😴 When he does it (and I'm around) i say 'Alf No' in a firm voice then just try to ignore it. He gets his (very) small potion of veggies 3 times a day so he's are spread out to keep him busy but that hasn't helped either and he has loads of chew toys and toys for interaction plus lots (i mean lots) of fresh hay every morning and night.
He seems such a happy confidant little guy and always is happy to say 'Hello' as soon as he sees you and popcorns loads so just can't understand it. If anything i thought Eric (his older more chilled shy brother) would be one to bite bars but he's that quiet and happy since the separation that you never ear a peep out of him and he gets the exact same treatment and routine as Alf. Eric also popcorns a lot but he's very shy and doesn't jump on you and play like Alf but he loves to be picked up and cuddled.
I'm honestly at a loss at what i can do because would hate for him to hurt himself doing it constantly 🐹🥬🌽

As they are separated, it’s normal for the aggressor to be agitated by a separation and for the bullied piggy to be happier.
All I can think of is that perhaps he is not happy alone and needs a new friend to live with?

As they are separated, it’s normal for the aggressor to be agitated by a separation and for the bullied piggy to be happier.
All I can think of is that perhaps he is not happy alone and needs a new friend to live with?
Well Alf was definitely the aggressor and it was Eric that was always injured and that's why once blood was drawn (Eric's) i made the heartbreaking decision to separate them.
Yes maybe he does need a new friend but at the minute there is no way i can afford or have the room to give another piggy a happy and healthy life and unless i can do that 100% then i refuse to get another one. Maybe at a later date i will definitely consider it but unless i can give a new pig (and my 2 boys) the best life they deserve then it's out of the question. I'm kind of hoping that he will get bored of it and just stop on his own 🤞🤞

Back