• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage help

Bubble& Squeak

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to get my 2 piggies a new cage and I'm looking at either the ferplast plaza 160 or a C&C built to the same dimensions.

I'm torn between the two for a couple of reasons. So need to ask a couple of questions.

Overall I prefer the idea of the ferplast 160 but the only thing that puts me off is the fact it has a closed roof, I've always much preferred a cage that I can just lean over to pick my pigs out of and I also find it much easier when it comes to cleaning because I can just grab everything and pull it upwards if that makes sense. So any of you that own a ferplast 160 how do you find it for cleaning? Also would there be any way of adapting the ferplast to make it open at the top as if it doesn't have a roof? I'm limited for room where I keep them, whilst length is fine it's width where I struggle as I can't really go any wider than the width of the 160 so I think the side opening on it may prove a bit awkward.

So naturally a C&C would solve that problem however just a question I need to ask is once it's all built and you have the coroplast sheet down. How easy are they to move around? So could I move the cage as a whole up and down the length of the room without any problems? I have laminate flooring so that should help how easy it could be pushed across the floor. I'd need to be able to move it because it would sit in front of my wardrobe and draws in my bedroom so it need to be pushed further down my room whenever I need to access those and then pushed back up in front of them once I'm finished.

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I need to work out which option is better suited with the limited space I have.

Thank you 😊

Hi, I have the ferplast 160 and have no problems with cleaning it out. You wouldn’t be able to not have the roof on it I’m afraid as the doors are attached to the roof.

In terms of moving a c&c around, I’d worry about it collapsing but I have never had one so can’t really comment.

If you build a c&c on a base of some sort, this would make it easier to move. I have mine on MDF boards but you could use the foam squares that join together (to put under laminate flooring) - I’m sure they’d work just as well.

My piggies live outside but I have a c&c which I have as a temporary indoor set up.
I think it would slide on laminate flooring but you would need to use cable ties (as well as the connectors) to give it much more security when moving as I find the Grids tend to flex if you try to pull just one side of it. However, if it’s in front of your wardrobe and you’ve got to move it every single day then I think you would get really fed up of moving it very quickly! I’d see if you could perhaps put it on a large board with castors (with brakes on) on so it could move the whole thing rather than just dragging the cage.
my boys came indoors during the hottest part of the summer and part way through their indoor stay I had to move their cage from one side of the room to the other and as I pulled one side of the short side of the cage, the connectors pinged off of the opposite side as the grids tried to move away from each other (my cage is cable tied together as i concertina the cage up for storage when not in use, and perhaps I hadn’t pushed the connectors on quite properly as it is only ever a temporary set up, but i can see if it happened a lot it would get annoying!)

Hi, I have the ferplast 160 and have no problems with cleaning it out. You wouldn’t be able to not have the roof on it I’m afraid as the doors are attached to the roof.

In terms of moving a c&c around, I’d worry about it collapsing but I have never had one so can’t really comment.

Ahhh right I did think that may have been the case with the ferplast. Is the side opening the same length as the cage or is it just a section of it that opens?

If you build a c&c on a base of some sort, this would make it easier to move. I have mine on MDF boards but you could use the foam squares that join together (to put under laminate flooring) - I’m sure they’d work just as well.

Oh that's a good idea actually. Never thought about putting something between the floor and the coroplast. I shall look into this 👍🏻😊

My piggies live outside but I have a c&c which I have as a temporary indoor set up.
I think it would slide on laminate flooring but you would need to use cable ties (as well as the connectors) to give it much more security when moving as I find the Grids tend to flex if you try to pull just one side of it. However, if it’s in front of your wardrobe and you’ve got to move it every single day then I think you would get really fed up of moving it very quickly! I’d see if you could perhaps put it on a large board with castors (with brakes on) on so it could move the whole thing rather than just dragging the cage.
my boys came indoors during the hottest part of the summer and part way through their indoor stay I had to move their cage from one side of the room to the other and as I pulled one side of the short side of the cage, the connectors pinged off of the opposite side as the grids tried to move away from each other (my cage is cable tied together as i concertina the cage up for storage when not in use, and perhaps I hadn’t pushed the connectors on quite properly as it is only ever a temporary set up, but i can see if it happened a lot it would get annoying!)

Luckily I don't have to move it quite every day as most of my clothes and other bits and bobs are stored in draws under my bed so I wouldn't have to move the cage quite so much. When you say a board with castors on where would best to look for something like that? I don't have a clue about things like that! 😂😂

Yeah I know what you mean, that's what worried me as I don't want it to keep falling apart or me to cause damage to it over time from having to move it around a few times a week.

A diy shop would sell boards and castors. You’d have to decide what size cage you were building first as you may have to get two boards and join them together

Back