• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage ideas

It would help if you could add a link to the product you mean.
Ive quick had a quick search (I have no idea about ikea products) and the thing which came up looks to be a glass display cabinet - if it is the same thing as you mean, then it would not be suitable

It would help if you could add a link to the product you mean.
Ive quick had a quick search (I have no idea about ikea products) and the thing which came up looks to be a glass display cabinet - if it is the same thing as you mean, then it would not be suitable
DETOLF Glass-door cabinet, black-brown, 43x163 cm - IKEA it’s this one and you can remove the shelves. It is 163 x 43 cm which I think is above the minimum.

This would not make a good cage. As it’s a glass cabinet it would not be safe and it’s also far too narrow.

It can be tricky to try to convert something not intended to be a guinea pig cage - size, ventilation, just practicalities of how to hang bottles etc can be prohibitive.
As mentioned in your hutch thread yesterday, two sows need a 4ft x 2ft cage as a minimum, but if you can offer anything beyond that then it would best to do so. We therefore recommend a 5ft x 2ft cage.
A narrower but longer cage may offer more floor area, but narrow cages won’t work for how piggies live and how they would utilise the space.
It would be cheaper to build a c&c cage - for two sows the size would need to be a 2 grid by 4 grid cage (measuring 150cm x 77cm).

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages
Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

The detolf is very popular for hamsters but as others have said it is not suitable for guinea pigs.

I think it's one of the best options available for hamsters but as others have said above it just isn't big enough nor does it have enough ventilation for a pair of piggies.

Have you looked into c&c cages? They can be any size and adapted to fit your space and require shockingly little DIY abilities.

Back