Cage Setup! (With a few questions)

graviee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here it is!

My cage is a Midwest, which I connected to a large dog crate, making about 14 square feet. (I apologize for my American measurements:P) I know most say all of it should be connected on one area, so my cage could be considered controversial. Personally, I think it’s suitable.

This is a bit odd but what do you think of my bowl placement? I couldn’t quite decide if I should have them close together or one in each area of the cage. (I feel like the piggies probably won’t establish their own bowls)
Same concept with the two water bottles.

At first I was going to have the hayroom also be a litter box, but I changed my mind and decided to not worry about it, so it simply there to keep hay contained. :)
Note that I still need to pick up some chew toys, which I’ll probably just pick up at the pet store. (I’m adopting my pigs, but the shelter is meeting me there as they are having an event there):tu:

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lovely big cage, they’re going to love exploring that 👍🏻

When it comes to bowls, some people like having a kitchen which is just used for food and others don’t, so it depends on what works best for you. Don’t worry on the guinea pigs account, they will always find the food!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think that is a great use of cages to make one big area. I like your ingenuity.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Your cage looks fantastic - it is a brilliant use of space, and I am sure your piggies will love it.

As for bowl and water bottle placement I would probably start with them in separate areas of the cage and see how your guinea pigs get on.
I have only ever had one piggy who was possessive of her food dish, and she could be quite dominant and not let other piggies get too near.

But having said that I think this is highly unusual, and most guinea pigs wouldn't have a problem with the bowls set up as they are.
It really is a matter of getting them home and seeing how things go.

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Your cage set-up is fabulous. Your new piggies will love it. Personally I don't use food bowls. I sprinkle nuggets in the hay to encourage their natural foraging behaviour and spread veggies around the cage for the same reason.

It may be worth covering one area of the cage with a blanket to help your piggies feel safe while they settle into their new home.

Looking forward to seeing pigtures once they have arrived.

graviee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just posted a thread in the new owners corner if anyone wants to see pigtures of my new girlies!