• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Cage Size? Bedding?

ricear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
United States of America (South Carolina)
Hi!

We are nearing the end of our quarantine time, as Al is almost 100% recovered from his pink eye. My boyfriend and I are planning on building Winston and Al a cage (to save approximately $400 USD). For two guinea pigs, I have read that 30" x 50" is best, but the space I have planned on making for them is 26"x60". I know that this may be a dumb question, but is that big enough? If not, I can relocate the potential cage set up, but I just want to make sure.

Also, while I'm asking-- what bedding do you guys prefer? How and how often do you change it? Currently I use paper cat litter, but with a larger cage, I will be looking to find a more suitable bedding.

Thank you in advance!

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes that should be big enough for two boys. The square footage is roughly the same as a 2x5 c&c cage. Although I’d go just a little wider and make it 70cm (roughly 27.5”).

Have you looked at the c&c cage to see if it doesn’t work out cheaper? You could buy the grids on amazon (just make sure they’re 9 the square ones).

Bedding depends on you. I started with wood shavings and moved to fleece. I didn’t seem to get on with it first time round so went back to shavings. Then tried aubiose which I loved but couldn’t use long term. And so moved back to fleece! I use bath mats on top and change them after roughly four days. Then a full change is after about 7-10 days. The hay tray and kitchen area are changed every two days - there I use puppy pads.

When I had the boys on shavings and aubiose, I did a full clean once a week. I also tried biocatelet which was good but worked out too expensive in the long run.

The thread below is a good one on bedding.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Sappyshelly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! As far as bedding goes, I use fleece and it saves a lot of money! I spot clean it every day and do a change around every week (or sooner if it gets smelly early).

ricear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
United States of America (South Carolina)
Hello! As far as bedding goes, I use fleece and it saves a lot of money! I spot clean it every day and do a change around every week (or sooner if it gets smelly early).
So fleece as in cheap blankets? If so, do you wash them in the washing machine when you change them? I like the idea of saving money on bedding if it’s reusable

McGoo_E

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have used paper bedding from the pet store and thought it was messy to clean and stinky. I switched to fleece, and it's awesome! I bought mine from Etsy, but there are many sellers out there. Instead of just using fleece blankets, I bought fleece bedding specifically made for guinea pigs; these are made with two layers of fleece with absorbent padding in between them. I also have a bag that I put it in when washing so my washing machine doesn't get nasty.

Sappyshelly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So fleece as in cheap blankets? If so, do you wash them in the washing machine when you change them? I like the idea of saving money on bedding if it’s reusable
Not really as in cheap blankets. If you look on Etsy and type in “Guinea pig fleece bedding” you will find plenty of options. Fleece is not absorbant so pee will go straight through it. If you use a normal blanket, the pee will get soaked up and the pigs would have to sit on the pee. You could either buy fleece off of a fabric store or website and layer it with pee pads or towels underneath or buy one off Etsy which is already sewn together with the absorbant layer. As far as washing goes, I wash mine after I use it. I bought a pet washing bag off amazon to prevent it from getting hair in the laundry machine.