• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage Size For 3-4 boars?

D

DM240920

Hello! I curentalu have 3 boars and have a couple questions on their cage setup. Their current cage is 2 Midwest cages that I cut the liners to be put to together so there weren’t any dividers. This is likely around 15 square ft? Anyway, my newest guy is Mickey, the smallest tan/ blonde and white one. They have been ok in this cage and have been together for about 2 months. They rumble strut, and hump each other like boars normally would do but never hurt each other. I have really been wanting to upgrade to a c and c cage ( I would really like a 3x5) but my parents hate it when I ask to upgrade or change the piggies setup. I have a good amount of space to upgrade, but again would want to make it fit as best as possible in the space, and still have it look like my room( if it was up to me , it would be the pig room with my bed in it 😂). I don’t have an insane amount of money to spend on upgrades, though Christmas and my birthday is coming up so it could be a present. I would really appreciate anything you guys would have for me to do better, and is my cage adequate? I think if other people say my cage is too small etc... my parents might let me upgrade. I also feed my piggies oxbow pellets, and Timothy hay. I want to change to Kms but they are current all out of stock): I do understand that I could potentially have to separate them all at sometime due to fighting, which is another reason I want to upgrade! I really want the best for my piggies! Anything would be helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wanted to mention that I would want it possibly an option to get a fourth pig in the future if I ever wanted to.

You would need a lot more space than that for three boars, let alone four. How old are they now?

Please be prepared for a fallout if they’re under 14 months and have a plan b. This should include three separate cages. I would strongly advise against adding another boar.

I’d also advise you to remove your age from the post.

Three boars together has a high chance of failure. Boars need to live in pairs as keeping any more than two together usually ends in fights at some point. You will need to prepare for them to fight and be separated as the chances of this working out long term are very low.

To attempt to keep a trio, you are going to need a much bigger cage. The cage you have is only big enough for two. To attempt three you need to give them at least a square metre each.

Please do not add a fourth piggy, you absolutely will cause fights between them by doing so.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Yes, I was doing a little bit of research and decided that 3 would be better than 4 and that I don’t want to add another. As for cage size what kind of c and c would work? We got Mickey about 3 months ago and he probable 2 or 3 months then. I have had teddy and Wally for a year and they were the same age as Mickey when I got them. I am prepared for a fallout, but want to get them a larger cage so they will have more space. Like I said, I was thinking about a 3-3 1/2 x 5 grid cage. Is this big enough?

Maybe if your mother signed up she should be having a chat with the staff team about whether it is ok for you to be here... @Lady Kelly @sport_billy @BossHogg ?
But a general online safeguarding tip, signing up to an 18+ website then telling everyone you are 13 could be a very dangerous thing to do and many places you could get some very upsetting responses from some very nasty men!
Here we are mostly nice middle aged teacher ladies and mums and grandmas, we also have a lawyer, a policeman and a church minister here, many of us are nice genuine people and just want to talk about guinea pigs... but we have 30,000 members globally and we cant vouch for everyone!

What are your opinions on pellets? The piggies get a cup of veggies each( normally lettuce, bell pepper, and carrots every other day), and an 1/8 cup of oxbow essentials pellets. They also get unlimited Timothy hay and water. They also get dried herbs and the occasional treat. I’ve been trying to look for a better brand of pellets.

I’ve been looking into small pet select, and kms. Is there one that has better ingredients?
Thanks for the help! 😃

What are your opinions on pellets? The piggies get a cup of veggies each( normally lettuce, bell pepper, and carrots every other day), and an 1/8 cup of oxbow essentials pellets. They also get unlimited Timothy hay and water. They also get dried herbs and the occasional treat. I’ve been trying to look for a better brand of pellets.

I’ve been looking into small pet select, and kms. Is there one that has better ingredients?
Thanks for the help! 😃
As above, I think your mom needs to talk to the staff team before anyone replies further as you are underage.

You are not old enough to have an account on here. I will remove your age from the first post and your account will be deleted by an admin. The rule is there to keep the forum on the right side of the law. Your mum is welcome to have her own account and ask questions on your behalf but you will not be able to have your own account or use hers

Back