• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage size for two piggies?

JC1023

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I've never had piggies before my 7 year old soon to be 8 year old daughter has been relentless in asking me for piggies for quite some time now with her birthday coming up she is begging me for piggies I have always said no because piggies from what I understand need a lot of room and I would need to get at least two getting just one would not be right as it would get lonely.I really want to give my daughter her birthday wish but is it even possible?With my home being quite small I really don't have the room to house one let alone two piggies I do have one option which may or may not work my sister who has 3 feels it may be ok for two so I figured I would bounce thus off you guys!

I do have some space I can utilize on top of her dresser the dresser measures 20W x 60L I know ideally it's not very wide but it is long where it falls short in width it is 5' long so could an 18x48 or even better 18x54 work for two piggies my sister seems to think with the length that may be alright just figured I would bounce this off you guys!

Thank-you

Hi and :wel: two Sows or a boar and sow need minimum 120x60cm. A pair of boars need minimum 150x60cm although 180x60cm would be better. It’s always better to go bigger if possible. By the time you put in the hides (at least one each) etc the space is taken up. And additional storeys don’t count as piggies are ground roaming. A smaller cage also gets dirty quicker for some reason.
8C99C970-D924-48E2-B5AB-2064F91AE711.jpeg

I plan on getting two Sows so I have the length being 6ft or in cm about 150cm where I fall short is on the width which is only 20" or about 59cm I may be able to stretch another 1" with a 1/2" over hang over the back and front of the dresser though I would rather not so with that being said could this spot work for two sows's

Thank-you

Yes that should work. Is there nowhere else in the house you could put them?

C&Cs are adaptable so I’d look into them and see.

I would say 150x59 ish would be fine for two sows. It's more the square feet that is important. The consideration with narrower cages is to avoid any bottlenecks where the piggies have to pass each other and can cause tension during hormonal times. This is less of an issue with sows as with boars. Also I don't think 1cm would make a huge difference.

I would definitely look at c&c cages where you can overlap grids etc to make the most of the space you have. Just be aware if you have other pets (cats or dogs) you will need a lid of some sort to keep them secure

Thanks Guys this spot is really the only place in the house where I have room as I do have a rather small house.No cats but I do have a dog but he does not go into my daughters room at all and I always have a baby gate across the doorway so he does not have access to her bedroom I could get her into the habit of closing her bedroom door as well!I will look into a customizable enclosure thank-you

Back