• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

calcium deficiency

Teacake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
so i try to feed my pigs a diet that is very wet and low in calcium to avoid bladder stones or sludge and other issues, but i was wondering:
is it possible to feed too little calcium? is calcium deficiency a thing in guinea pigs?

I think it can be a thing but I think it’s hard because there is calcium in pellets and veg as well.

so i try to feed my pigs a diet that is very wet and low in calcium to avoid bladder stones or sludge and other issues, but i was wondering:
is it possible to feed too little calcium? is calcium deficiency a thing in guinea pigs?

Hi!

There is a such a thing as calcium deficiency; it is ultimately life shortening.

Please be aware that most calcium in a diet comes with tap water and via pellets. That is why we recommend to filter water and to reduce the amount of pellets to 1 tablespoon per piggy per day max. Even no added calcium pellets still contain more calcium than the same weight of kale. So it is ultimately safer to feed a little fresh herb daily and even some kale every now and then than not controlling the big calcium contributors.
Our diet recommendations, which look at ALL food groups in detail but as part of a whole, should help you find a long term good balance.
It is worth having a look at them again as we keep them updated. Here is the link: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Back