• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Calcium Pee

SavyCavyGirl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of calcium pee, and I don’t know what is causing it. Last night they had lettuce, a bit of red pepper a tiny bit of carrot, zucchini and cilantro. Are any of these high in calcium? Also pea flakes.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Excess calcium is excreted in their urine so seeing the occasional one isn’t a huge worry but If they are gritty and it happens a lot then do check the diet.
No these aren’t particularly high in calcium Though.

Ensure you keep their pellets limited to one tablespoon per day and give them filtered drinking water. Pellets and water contain more calcium than the highest calcium veg so ensure pellets and water are kept as I mention can really help keep their calcium intake under control (of course they do still need some calcium so you can’t cut it down completely).

SavyCavyGirl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I’ve been feeding them two tablespoons of pellets a day each, so I’ll cut down on that. It hasn’t happened a lot, I just noticed that for the past two or maybe three days it’s been appearing more. I also started giving them filtered water just today, so hopefully that helps. Just making sure- they get 10-15 percent of there body weight in veggies right?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I’ve been feeding them two tablespoons of pellets a day each, so I’ll cut down on that. It hasn’t happened a lot, I just noticed that for the past two or maybe three days it’s been appearing more. I also started giving them filtered water just today, so hopefully that helps. Just making sure- they get 10-15 percent of there body weight in veggies right?
One cup of veggies per day.
this is our diet guide Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets