• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can Anyone Help Me With Bedding Ideas?

i do not need to clear out damp patches as the top is always dry.i do change the hay pile every day.x
Do yours spend loads of time in your hay loft? Mine only come out for a snooze in the fleece cosies and then are back in the hay again lol x

Can I ask why you prefer carefresh over aubiose? I tried it once but i prefer Fitch, I found it to be as good, softer, and way cheaper x

I have a regular visitor who has mild respiratory issues and the aubiose set it off, it's pretty much the only reason. Blitzen also seems to end up with a load of aubiose stuck in his fur, but he does that with hay as well, it's not specific to the aubiose.

I know you probably already know this, but if you use Amazon and buy direct from them they won't try to screw you over with the delivery charges, and I've sent stuff over with my prime account (to my parents) for the same price as having it sent to me. I do not miss courier pricing for Northern Ireland deliveries at all.

I get damp patches on top where my girls wee the most. I just pick it out with my hand.
I do find I can smell that it is a guineapig room, but I thinks it's wee-hay rather than the Aubiose! And I do cough a bit when doing a full clean out but it doesn't affect the pigs.
Hope you get on well with it!

I have a regular visitor who has mild respiratory issues and the aubiose set it off, it's pretty much the only reason. Blitzen also seems to end up with a load of aubiose stuck in his fur, but he does that with hay as well, it's not specific to the aubiose.

I know you probably already know this, but if you use Amazon and buy direct from them they won't try to screw you over with the delivery charges, and I've sent stuff over with my prime account (to my parents) for the same price as having it sent to me. I do not miss courier pricing for Northern Ireland deliveries at all.
Yes Amazon is my next place to go if this company can't send it for the price they say. I think on Amazon it's £20 something delivered. Northern Ireland is a bummer for getting things delivered . Did you once live here?
If you have never tried Fitch I would definitely give it a go. The piggies love it and there is no dust. Plus if you live in England it's even cheaper! I think if you order direct from Fitch it's free delivery, so £21 for a 20kg bag x

I get damp patches on top where my girls wee the most. I just pick it out with my hand.
I do find I can smell that it is a guineapig room, but I thinks it's wee-hay rather than the Aubiose! And I do cough a bit when doing a full clean out but it doesn't affect the pigs.
Thank you! So do I! Would just love to find something that won't break the bank and that works x

I line my cage with fleece and just put hay over the top, in a pile in the middle.They gradually spread it out to cover most of the cage.
Take it outside and bat it before putting it in the washer and then you don't get a blockage.
Seems to work well for my piggies. I've tried pads, shavings, fleece, hay and all possible combinations of these - and fleece and hay is what my boys like best :)

Yes Amazon is my next place to go if this company can't send it for the price they say. I think on Amazon it's £20 something delivered. Northern Ireland is a bummer for getting things delivered . Did you once live here?
If you have never tried Fitch I would definitely give it a go. The piggies love it and there is no dust. Plus if you live in England it's even cheaper! I think if you order direct from Fitch it's free delivery, so £21 for a 20kg bag x

Only for nearly 26 years! (I moved the month before my 26th birthday, lol). Tbh I really like the Carefresh, as long as it's the Natural stuff. The Ultra and the Confetti types are just...the Ultra feels far too much like cotton wool for my liking, and the Confetti isn't much better than tissue paper in my experience. The Natural isn't supersoft or anything, but it is still soft for what is essentially wood pulp/cardboard etc, and it absorbs really well. I can get away with changing the bedding completely every two weeks and the top layer will still be relatively dry, because all the urine ends up at the bottom.

I think it's an each to their own kind of thing, but I don't envy you having to pay to have stuff delivered. Parcelforce tend to have the same prices for Northern Ireland as the British mainland, but other couriers get away with huge price leaps. It's ridiculous.

I line my cage with fleece and just put hay over the top, in a pile in the middle.They gradually spread it out to cover most of the cage.
Take it outside and bat it before putting it in the washer and then you don't get a blockage.
Seems to work well for my piggies. I've tried pads, shavings, fleece, hay and all possible combinations of these - and fleece and hay is what my boys like best :)
I have sooo much fleece that this combo would be the cheapest for me, but last time I tried fleece with hay ontop it absolutely stank, and the pads under the hay were soaking within a few hours, so I was constantly having to change them? I friend of mine uses this method tho and doesn't have the same problems as me!? I don't understand it at all! Am I doing something wrong? Do u have pics of yours? x

Only for nearly 26 years! (I moved the month before my 26th birthday, lol). Tbh I really like the Carefresh, as long as it's the Natural stuff. The Ultra and the Confetti types are just...the Ultra feels far too much like cotton wool for my liking, and the Confetti isn't much better than tissue paper in my experience. The Natural isn't supersoft or anything, but it is still soft for what is essentially wood pulp/cardboard etc, and it absorbs really well. I can get away with changing the bedding completely every two weeks and the top layer will still be relatively dry, because all the urine ends up at the bottom.

I think it's an each to their own kind of thing, but I don't envy you having to pay to have stuff delivered. Parcelforce tend to have the same prices for Northern Ireland as the British mainland, but other couriers get away with huge price leaps. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, someone tried to tell me for a £9 bag of bedding it would cost £7 delivery plus an extra £12 surcharge for NI!? Come on, that's just ridiculous! I can get things posted from America cheaper than that! .
2 weeks! What am I doing wrong? Lol. Everything I try never lasts anywhere near that length of time! No matter what disposable bedding I have used I need to take a good bit out daily and replace, and by the end of the week its smelly and well just needs changed...this was even the cage in a 2x9 c and c all with disposable bedding x

I have sooo much fleece that this combo would be the cheapest for me, but last time I tried fleece with hay ontop it absolutely stank, and the pads under the hay were soaking within a few hours, so I was constantly having to change them? I friend of mine uses this method tho and doesn't have the same problems as me!? I don't understand it at all! Am I doing something wrong? Do you have pics of yours? x

Have you wicked the fleece? And don't use fabric softener as it reduces absorbance (that's why bath towels get worse as time goes on).
I also sprinkle Cage Fresh granules under the fleece (not where the pigs are on them) which helps neutralise the odor when per soaks through.

I clear the pigs out every 3 days. I clear the hay out every day.

IMG_20170621_225738.jpg

Yeah, someone tried to tell me for a £9 bag of bedding it would cost £7 delivery plus an extra £12 surcharge for NI!? Come on, that's just ridiculous! I can get things posted from America cheaper than that! .
2 weeks! What am I doing wrong? Lol. Everything I try never lasts anywhere near that length of time! No matter what disposable bedding I have used I need to take a good bit out daily and replace, and by the end of the week its smelly and well just needs changed...this was even the cage in a 2x9 c and c all with disposable bedding x

Like I said, I'm a big fan of Carefresh ;)

Have you wicked the fleece? And don't use fabric softener as it reduces absorbance (that's why bath towels get worse as time goes on).
I also sprinkle Cage Fresh granules under the fleece (not where the pigs are on them) which helps neutralise the odor when per soaks through.

I clear the pigs out every 3 days. I clear the hay out every day.

View attachment 65471
Yeah I've been using fleece for a couple of years now with no problems bar the hay areas. My liners are well washed and I never use fabric softener on any of the pigs stuff. I use liners so not sure sprinkling anything under them would really help? I put extra pee pads under the hay so I could lift them out daily instead of changing the whole liner, bit literally within a couple of hours they were wet in that area and filled with pee, the amount of washing I had was ridiculous, and smelt worse than newspaper and hay!? Then there was the added bonus of trying to get all the hay off the fleece. I know just having hay in bags and not on the floor would work...but my piggies love to play in it so there goes that option lol. Your cage is lovely by the way :) x

Do yours spend loads of time in your hay loft? Mine only come out for a snooze in the fleece cosies and then are back in the hay again lol x
i have one piggie that is in the hay loft most of the time,the other three use it to eat hay and food,rest on the 6x2 fleece liner,but i have a cat litter tray with hay in on the fleece.

I am using newspapers covered by a fleece and I am satisfied because it does not cost anything (actually I use flyers from supermarkets and here I can collect loads of them making only a favour to my neighbours and the cleaning lady who is paid also for throwing away all that useless paper which nobody is interested of). This means that every day, during floor time, I have to remove the (few) flyers with a wet spot, but it is not difficult for me. If I don't clean the cage, it is okay as well for two days, but not longer.
And as I have said, it is totally free... as free as the grass they eat.
During floor time they have a large box filled with hay, but underneath the hay there is the newspaper which absorbs the wee.
100_6623.JPG
100_6634.JPG
100_6650.JPG

I am using newspapers covered by a fleece and I am satisfied because it does not cost anything (actually I use flyers from supermarkets and here I can collect loads of them making only a favour to my neighbours and the cleaning lady who is paid also for throwing away all that useless paper which nobody is interested of). This means that every day, during floor time, I have to remove the (few) flyers with a wet spot, but it is not difficult for me. If I don't clean the cage, it is okay as well for two days, but not longer.
And as I have said, it is totally free... as free as the grass they eat.
During floor time they have a large box filled with hay, but underneath the hay there is the newspaper which absorbs the wee.
View attachment 65749
View attachment 65750
View attachment 65751
Thank you for your reply. I use fleece liners so don't need to put anything under them. In the hay area I used newspaper initially as where I work I can get it free, but I just found the piggies bums were always wet even with me changing daily (my piggies use the hay areas a lot!). If it worked for me I would definitely use it tho as it would be my cheapest option x

i have one piggie that is in the hay loft most of the time,the other three use it to eat hay and food,rest on the 6x2 fleece liner,but i have a cat litter tray with hay in on the fleece.
Hey, can I ask how deep you make your aubiose? I'm finding if the piggies run it leaves bits of the Lino exposed. I've done it around 1.5 to 2cm deep x

Hey, can I ask how deep you do your aubiose? I've done mine about 1.5 to 2cm deep but finding if the piggies run it moves and leaves parts of the Lino exposed x

Back