• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can anyone recommend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
An indoor cage suitable for 3 adult piggies?

My dilemma is that me and my flatmate are moving to separate places in July and I'm getting custody of the guinea pigs. I am however, having to downsize (not what I wanna do but my rent is going from £1,400 to £990 for three months!).

The only problem is the house is much smaller. I'm moving in with a friend of my current flatmate, and the flat has two large bedrooms, a kitchen and bathroom - there is no living room or garden!

If I can I'd like to take them with me, or they could potentially go to my mums (it'd break my heart to rehome them!). My landlord new has already ok'd my hamsters and chameleon, despite the "no pets" tenancy. (My current tenancy agreement states "no pets" but we have over 40 here - I'm wondering if I could get a reference from my current landlord to say that the house is clean, doesn't smell etc?).

So - what I'd be looking for, is a reasonably sized indoor cage, thats as floor-space-saving as possible (I have 3 large hamster cages AND a 5ft x 3ft x 3ft chameleon cage to find room for already!). They are happy using ramps, and I'm agoraphobic so I'm home a lot of the time, so they'd have plenty of floor time! Easy- cleaning would be an advantage, as they'd be cleaned out daily but I'd prefer size over ease of cleaning!

Does anyone have any recommendations (and any photos?!)

Thanks in advance!

Amanda & the piggy trio

Hi Amanda

This is an ideal size for a trio - and very robust so maybe stackable with your chameleon set up so it doesn't take up more floor space?

http://www.justcages.co.uk//rabbit-...0-rabbitguinea-pig-indoor-cage?variant_id=723

There are C&C grids on ebay at the mo that will make a similar size cage but for less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260766009667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HTH

Suzy x

The first one looks perfect - and a very reasonable price too! I thought about the C&C cages but something puts me off of them, but I'm not sure what lol - I think an actual cage would be easier for when they go and stay with Aunty Sonya (my current flatmate!) when I go on holiday.

What would be better? A large single storey cage (like the one in the first link) or a slightly smaller, two storey cage?

There are pros and cons to both types - the commercial is set up ready to go when it arrives, the C&C needs constructing - though it is very straight forward and more versatile to fit the space that you have, even around corners.

Piggies can cope with ramps with a little adjustment, so they have good grip, not too steep and have a side on them to stop a pig from being pushed off by another using it. Most commercial cage ramps are too steep, slippery and do not have sides.

The other thing with the commercial cage is that it is a very big thing to move - if you need to transport it the C&C is far easier as you just unclip the grids.

This is just one of the many, many C&C cages that members have made.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=992480#post992480

Suzy x

There are pros and cons to both types - the commercial is set up ready to go when it arrives, the C&C needs constructing - though it is very straight forward and more versatile to fit the space that you have, even around corners.

Piggies can cope with ramps with a little adjustment, so they have good grip, not too steep and have a side on them to stop a pig from being pushed off by another using it. Most commercial cage ramps are too steep, slippery and do not have sides.

The other thing with the commercial cage is that it is a very big thing to move - if you need to transport it the C&C is far easier as you just unclip the grids.

This is just one of the many, many C&C cages that members have made.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=992480#post992480

Suzy x

It would need to be moved very infrequently - I'm thinking the one in that first link would be ideal because I could keep it on my desk and just move it off when I need to use my desk (doesn't happen very often!).
It also looks big enough to be able to modify it to add in a 2nd level and ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back